craigslist demands my phone number- not gonna happen.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo I've posted a couple bikes for sale today and decided I needed to edit them to tell lowballers to not bother me. Did one, no problem. Hit "publish" on the second and CL demanded my phone number so it could send me a text which I would enter to prove it's really me. :rant: WTF? When did this start?

I went to their help section to complain, pick the topic, and told them politely that I was not going to hand them my phone number so they could sell or otherwise abuse it. They never needed it and don't now. If that means I can't place ads there anymore, so be it.

In order to send my complaint, guess what they wanted? They got a fake one.
I then got this email:
PHONE VERIFICATION AT CRAIGSLIST
Phone verification may be required to create a craigslist account, to log
in to an existing account, or to post on craigslist:
1. You will be prompted to enter your phone number.
2. You will receive an automated phone call or SMS/text message with an
verification code.
3. Enter this code on the next web page.

4. not gonna happen.

I've bought and sold a dozen cars, trucks, and motorcycles as well as a bunch of other stuff on CL in the last 13 years. I will not now or ever give them my phone number. I may need somewhere else to shop and sell.

Facebook often asks me for it "to increase security of my account". How does me giving you MORE of my personal info increase my security? I think somebody must be paying very well for verified phone numbers, especially when it comes with info about my interests.

I give them the landline number. I never answer that bugger unless I know who is calling. No caller id either so. Either I get a pm or email you intend to call or it doesn't get answered.

Latest posts