83 gl1100 volt meter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluribus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 83 gl1100 and just put in a new battery, the volt meter was working when i first turned the key on and was working on first start. After shutting it off and restarting it the volt meter no longer works. Any ideas?

See if you have 12 volts at the 2 wires going to the gauge with a test light or volt meter.
Could also run a pair of wires from the battery to the 2 gauge wires.
If it goes up then there is a bad connection going to the gauge somewhere along the harness.

My guess would be a connection somewhere but if it turns out to be a bad gauge, let me know and I will give you one for the postage to get it to you. I didnt like the slow moving oem gauge and put in an instant reading Sunpro gauge. Key on, zap, reads voltage in about 1/10th of a second.

Attachments

• gauge cluster.jpg
    gauge cluster.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 175
OK the problem is solved, i lost my cruse control, front running lights and my volt meter, i checked every fuse on the bike and traced the wires for shorts to no success, after hours of frustration. My dad "veteran goldwing rider and mechanic" had the problem fixed in less then five minutes.... Turns out the fuses were seated just fine, however the fuse terminals were loose and or corroded. I knew when he looked at me with that shit eating grin, "you dumb ass look", it was simple....lol. Thanks dad.