How do you install new spark plug wires on a 84 GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent1984

Reaction score
Looks like they were original wires so I thought it couldn't hurt to change them along with new plugs...I didn't have any trouble with the plug end tips but I'm not sure if the coil end is in far enough??? There isn't much room to get a good grip on the new wire...I tried test running the bike and now it back fires like crazy?? So far...I only changed the left side...

Is there any way that you have reversed the firing order on the one side that you have changed as that will cause the engine to backfire?

The backfire, you might front to back wires swapped.

It's difficult on the 1100 also to tell if the wire went in all the way.
Measure how far in one of the old ones went then put your finger there on the new wire, slide it in up to your finger.

slabghost":1rt46yx6 said:
What wire did you use? It is easier to fit the wires if you have the coils out.

Despite the "firing order", both plugs on each side fire at the same time in a wasted spark system. There's only one trigger wire per coil set.

steveb123":kpe4iyey said:
slabghost":kpe4iyey said:

Despite the "firing order", both plugs on each side fire at the same time in a wasted spark system. There's only one trigger wire per coil set.
I think you will find that the cylinders under each bank are fired by each coil. In other words the right coil fires cylinders 1 ( right bank front cylinder) and 2 ( left bank front cylinder) and the left coil fires cylinders 3 ( right bank rear cylinder) and 4 ( left bank rear cylinder).

one coil fires front cylinders ...other coil fires back cylinders ....front cylinders come to tdc at the same time one on firng stroke the other on compression stoke ...and both these cylinder fire in the wasted spark system ....same for back cylinders .....

steveb123":6t5x505l said:
slabghost":6t5x505l said:

No that's not correct.
I believe the coil wire to plug is the same as the 1100,
4,3,2,1 as looking at the 2 coils from left to right while sitting on the bike.

dan filipi":21l4h2i7 said:
steveb123":21l4h2i7 said:
slabghost":21l4h2i7 said:

No that's not correct.
I believe the coil wire to plug is the same as the 1100,
4,3,2,1 as looking at the 2 coils from left to right while sitting on the bike.

You're right of course. I'm in the middle of a MSD Neon coil conversion, and the left side of the coil (while mounted crossways) actually fires the left side of the bike!

cheers.

To clarify how the coils on our bikes hook up for the original poster,

The left coil connects to 4 and 3 producing a spark at the same time.

The right coil connects to 2 and 1 producing a spark at the same time.

Just in case anyone needs to know,
the plug number orientation while sitting on the bike is:

Left pair:
Front= 2
Rear= 4

Right pair:
Front= 1
Rear= 3

Sitting on the bike, I changed the #4 lead first and only did one at at time as to be 100% sure not to mix them up. Then I did the #2 lead exactly the same way. On the coil...the far left position is #2 and the third spot is #4. It's hard to push the new wire into the coil because you can't get hold of it in that tight little area very well. All my parts were purchased at my local Honda Dealer. I will chech the depth as soon as I'm near the bike again...
If I am only able to push it in a little, will the cap and rubber ring help pull it farther in?? I did check to see if #2 and #4 had spark...and they do...it feels like it's only running on the other cylinders??? Thanks for all of your answers so far!!!

Brent1984":m0m8rxu3 said:
Sitting on the bike, I changed the #4 lead first and only did one at at time as to be 100% sure not to mix them up. Then I did the #2 lead exactly the same way. On the coil...the far left position is #2 and the third spot is #4. It's hard to push the new wire into the coil because you can't get hold of it in that tight little area very well. All my parts were purchased at my local Honda Dealer. I will chech the depth as soon as I'm near the bike again...
If I am only able to push it in a little, will the cap and rubber ring help pull it farther in?? I did check to see if #2 and #4 had spark...and they do...it feels like it's only running on the other cylinders??? Thanks for all of your answers so far!!!
The wires are ok as far as numbering as long as they are also getting plugged into the correct cylinder.

The cap might pull it in some but I wouldn't bet on it to get it started fully from the first threads.
The wire should be in against the contacting pin inside the coil before tightening then the nut will seat it solid against the pin.

We used a point of an awl tool to start a hole in the new wire so the pin could at least have a starting spot...and then pushed as hard as possible...which didn't seem to gain much. then tightened the cap onto the coil. Again...I only did 1 wire at a time so there is no possible way to mix up plugs etc...but just to be 1000%...I will try switching them around?? Don't really have anything to lose at this point. :thanks:

The bike was running good at the end of last year...I have just been going over it to make sure everything is in top shape when the weather gets better. I took off the front covers for the timing belts...I even bought new belts, but when we got the covers off the belts were in top condition so I didn't change them.I wasn't sure how old they were having just bought it last year...the old owner wasn't sure either. All I did was tighten the slack up a little, I loosened the tensioner...put a finger amount of pressure on it and retightened the bolts.

Brent1984":3t1ywrxs said:
The bike was running good at the end of last year...I have just been going over it to make sure everything is in top shape when the weather gets better. I took off the front covers for the timing belts...I even bought new belts, but when we got the covers off the belts were in top condition so I didn't change them.I wasn't sure how old they were having just bought it last year...the old owner wasn't sure either. All I did was tighten the slack up a little, I loosened the tensioner...put a finger amount of pressure on it and retightened the bolts.
Question, was it running good before the plug wire change?
I ask to be sure your not chasing a wire problem that's actually something else.

Latest posts