GL1200 oil ck

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have someone help you put it on the centerstand one time, fill to presribed mark. Take off he centerstand, put on sidestand, let oil settle,check the oil, mark the stick with a file mark at the oil level and that will be the correct level while the bike is sitting on the sidestand on level ground.

I noticed my 85 has three marks on it. I was wondering after reading this if the top two could be for center stand readings and the bottom two for side stand readings. I don't have a manual to check it.

Just a thought about oil levels. I try to measure out the correct capacity for the engine and filter and then check that against the dip stick/ level indicator. It s amazing how many times I have experienced incorrect level indicators.

I'm just curious, has anybody here ever had to add oil to a Goldwing? I have owned several Goldwings going all the way back to a new 1977 and honestly don't remember ever having to add oil between changes. I've been changing oil/filter every 3000 miles and all three are always still on the full mark or very very close when I change the oil. The 92 has 113,000 miles and even that one is always on the full mark at change.
It might not be wise but I never check the oil between changes anymore. Obviously if I detected a leak and/or saw oil on the floor I would check it.
As a side note and not wanting to ignite the endless oil thread, I switched to Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic at the beginning of the riding year in the 1500's and they are quieter, shift smoother and have no clutch slipping issue so I decided to try it in the 1100 and am getting the same result. It has about 1000 miles on it so far with the full synthetic. It's quite a bit more expensive at about $5 a quart but I plan to now only change oil/filter every 6,000 miles. Some guys over on the GWRRA message board go 10,000 miles between oil changes using it but that seems a little excessive to me.

Of the 3 different engines I've had in mine, with exception of the one that had a broken oil ring the other 2 didn't use any oil. These were 80-90k mile engines. The one I'm running, the Speedo said 24k, that could be 124k judging by the low oil pressure and loose primary chain but it doesn't burn any.

My '81 engine had drips and some bad seals so it needed a bit added every once in a while. That engine had 169K miles on it.

I swapped it out with an '83 engine that I never need to add oil between changes in over 16K miles so far.