Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:Awe:
As some of you may remember, I've had horrible luck with rear tires on my '81. I put 2 NEW ones(Bridgestone Spitfires) on just last year. The first one in Feb, and it picked up a roofing nail not long after that. I tried to plug it, but it dint hold, so in September, I bought another new one. That one had a dang crack in the tread area. The nameless place I bought it from declined to warranty it, stating I had used Dynabeads, and that voided the manufacturer's warranty, which it dint, according to Bridgstone. Anyway....here we are, less than a year later, and that tire is now BALD in the center. Less than prolly 5000 miles on it. I got rained on on the way home yesterday, and I almost lost it several times, with the rear sliding around....scared the poop outta me.
So now, I gotta get ANOTHER rear tire for this turd. I still have the one that is practically brand new, but has a nail hole in it. I was thinking of patching that one and using it, but someone mentioned that I should NEVER patch a tire unless it was an "on-the-road-emergency-repair". I see some of the logic in that, but still...a new tire just sittin there, with a small hole in it....

I need some good advice from youse guys.....patch the tire I have, or get another tire?
If I have to get another tire, I really wanted to get a Michelin, but I have not found one in the size I need. I cannot find a Dunlop EII or III in the size I need. I need something that is not going to wear out every time I look at it. I've basically put a new rear tire on this thing every year since I've had it. I get the one that is s'posed to be for the weight of the bike, but they sure do wear out quick.
I just don't know what to do....I'm sick of buying rear tires every year, but I gotta ride.... :moped:
HELP!?????

Patching a tire is a lot different from plugging a tire as long as it is in the center of the tire tread. I had a patched tire on my Intruder for approximately 8,000 miles with no problem. Granted the weight of the bikes aren't the same but, if the nail hole were in the center of the tire tread, I would patch it and see what happens.

As far as a new tire goes, how much are you paying for those tires?

That is fast wear..Is there some alignment on these wings? Havent looked at mine just yet but i`m guessing it is fixed.
I would patch the tire, A patch will hold up if done right, maybe go with the shinko`s if thats all your getting from more expensive tires.

I knows what you saying, I'm looking at a ruined one with less than a hundred fifty miles on it, dang nails, anyways, I'd lean towards having that new one patched. The consensus on patching rear motorcycle tires runs about 50/50 percent pro and con, kinda like which fuel additive to use, which oil, same ol same ol, so you just gotta go with your gut feeling or experience on these things.

The Dunlop that was one it when I bought it lasted 2 years. I only replaced it because the tread was separating...it had a big bulge on it. It still held air, and had PLENTY of tread left on it. I replaced that one with another Dunlop that only lasted a few months before it had a huge slick spot in it in one spot....but not from locking the tire up, since I don't do that. Warranty denied on that one because "it is worn down too far-beyond it's useful life". :sensored:
That's when I got the first Bridgestone...and promptly stuck a nail in it....
I think I'll go ahead and patch that one...it will at least give me time to find/pay for another new tire.
I sure hate having to tear this thing all apart again for a tire....especially since it's in the 100s here..... :heat:

I would patch that tire from the inside and ride on it. You will know if the patch isn't holding because it will lose air slowly. I doubt very highly that the tire would blow out.

I have 6,704 miles on the back tire still looking new. Something is not right down there! Maybe it is the high air temps?? You are not carrying a mechanics toolbox worth of tools in your bags are you?

Thought, :shock: watch out sometimes it hurts when I do that, bald in center normally means too much air pressure, might consider lowering the a/p a little also to even the wear out. How much pressure you running ?

Or your doing to many burn-outs. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92873#p92873:xrurdlk8 said:
zman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm[/url]":xrurdlk8]
...go with the shinko`s if thats all your getting from more expensive tires.

That's what I am thinking too. I am getting between 7000-8000 miles on the 712 and the tire I have on now I noticed on the ride home from joe's that it will soon be down to the wear bar, so later this year I will be getting a new rear tire also. I think I am going with the 230 this time to match the front. The 712 seems to whistle more.

As I mentioned in the other thread I bought a set of Pirellies earlier this year and after 4K (kilometers) they are still like new. Best handling tires I had so far, no more Dunlops or Michelins for me.
And the only good thing to do with a patched tire is to sell it to someone you don't like

Tire has always been inflated to 40psi, which is what the manual specs. Not carrying anything unusual, other than my fat a$$. I have my helmet,a light rain jacket, the bike cover, quart o oil, and a cheap, small socket set. Same crap I had when it still had the Dunlop on it.
Same heat, and roads. I do ride at a higher speed than prolly a lot of youse guys(75-80mph) on the road to/from work. Prolly split 50/50 asphalt & cement road surface. :popcorn:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92929#p92929:2nz2rh3m said:
AApple » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 pm[/url]":2nz2rh3m]
Tire has always been inflated to 40psi, which is what the manual specs. Not carrying anything unusual, other than my fat a$$. I have my helmet,a light rain jacket, the bike cover, quart o oil, and a cheap, small socket set. Same crap I had when it still had the Dunlop on it.
Same heat, and roads. I do ride at a higher speed than prolly a lot of youse guys(75-80mph) on the road to/from work. Prolly split 50/50 asphalt & cement road surface. :popcorn:
Other than the higher temps, they are the same conditions I ride in. On the highway I was averaging 75 MPH, but after the trip to Joe's I found that she likes 80 MPH much better!

Gotta love the Shinkos that backlander recommended. Can't tell you what miles we will get but they handle well and they have seen 90mph ( which is exciting for a very short time) on the 81. Normal cruise is 75-85 mph atm. I have put about 300 miles on the set on the 82 and they are great. Some of the freeways around LA did have me thinking that I had a separation but it was just the road. Both bikes were a little squirmy on them initially but the more I use them the better they are. Maybe it is the Comstars that are causing that from sitting in one position for too long. Whatever it was they are both improving. Make sure you get the 230 Tourmasters as they are designed to carry the weight.

I have spitfires on my XS750.
Didn't the ad say spitfires got harder compound in the center for durability and softer on sides for cornerring?

So much for that...

I have E-III on my oldwing.

As for the durability, I can't say much because I don't ride long distance..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92934#p92934:btd1bywf said:
slabghost » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 pm[/url]":btd1bywf]
I've got almost 600 miles on my shinko tires and the little whiskers are still there.

Which one did you put on V: 712 or 230?

Not sure. The tires say Tour Master there is a circle with e4 in it and at the end of the size it has 240.
Okay I went back and looked up my order. They are the the 230 series.

That is what I have out front also and am very happy with it so far. The 712 had a straight groove in the center of the front tire so some roads and metal grate bridges we a lot of fun! No complaints with the 230: As I posted elsewhere, it will be the next sneaker I put on the back of my bike when it comes time.

Otay...so I been lookin at the Shinkos....seems most of the reviews are complaints about the wear....they don't seem to last very long. And this was mostly on lighter rides than mine.
Plus....I'm havin a heck of a time finding ANY tire of the right size...130 90-17. I see them at 120, 140, and everything EXCEPT 130. What other size would fit, and NOT rub, or be a problem? I know in the past, the tires I have bought were rated for a gross weight RIGHT AT or slightly under what my bike weighs....I think this has the most to do with the wear, but I can't seem to find anything with a higher weight rating in the size I friggin need.
I'm starting to wonder just how many miles I actually put on this turd every year....
I ride 80 miles per day(to/from work), every day, weather permitting. In the winter, I don't ride as much, naturally. 80 x 5 = 400 miles per week. If I rode every day all year, that's 20,800 miles per yr. Cut that in half, and it's still over 10,000 miles. I can usually ride from Feb/March, until around Nov., just depends on when, and how cold it gets, so I'm not riding every single day thru those months. And...it rains, too, so I don't ride on days that's it's rainin, or gunna be rainin....at least not on purpose.
Am I expecting TOO MUCH for a tire to last longer than what mine are lasting? I'm only familiar with automotive tires that last 30,000 or so, so I kinda expect my bike tires to last at least half of that...am I wrong to expect that?
I don't hot rod, or do twisties on the edge, rarely ever lock the rear up(only once, that I can remember). I just ride down the road....
As I said earlier...the original Dunlop that was on the rear when I bought the bike lasted 2 years, and I only replaced it because the tread was coming apart...but it did have plenty of tread left. They don't make that tire in my size anymore, or I'd get one...
:fiddle:

I have to ask a silly question because I am now confused....... :headscratch:

Do you know the actual mileage on the tire or are you estimating? :read: :fishin:

Latest posts