Carburetor interchangeability

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo331

Reaction score
:help: I am a new member, so if this sounds idiotic, I am sorry. Can a set of GL 1100 carbs be put on a GL1000 block? I am refurbishing a 1978 GL1000 that has MAJOR carb issues, and I have an extra 81 GL1100 donor engine. Really tight "purse strings" dictate that I try to think outside the box, so to say.

I appreciate any and all replies to my quandary............ Thnx. :help:

Easy swap. You'll need to plug the vacuum port on the #3 (right rear) carb that normally feeds the vacuum advance on the 1100 engine. Everything else is plug-n-play. I'm running 1000 carbs on my '83 1100...

Welcome to the site from Southern California!

Thanx for the reply....... Follow up ? What do I do with the air valve that was on carb # 1, if anything....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106905#p106905:il0y4lfg said:
Theo331 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 am[/url]":il0y4lfg]
Thanx for the reply....... Follow up ? What do I do with the air valve that was on carb # 1, if anything....
Vacuum to the air valve is direct from the carb rack. When you remove the 1000 rack the vacuum source and single air valve go too.

Yup, the 1100 carbs each have their own air cut-off valve. You'll be swapping the entire rack - plenum, carbs, everything. The engines are identical in width.