New solenoid

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigguy

Reaction score
I recently received a new solenoid for my 1980 wing in the mail. It is the fused type, and when I installed it I got no power to the key. I hooked up the old one, and I have power. The fuse looks ok, I wonder is the new switch bad?

Fuse "looks" ok.....check it with an ohm meter to be sure, or replace the fuse first. The solenoid should provide power to the ignition switch at all times, even if it will not start the engine. The battery cable connects to the same side of the solenoid as the main feed to the electrical system. Assuming you have it connected properly, I'd say start by verifying the fuse is good/bad, and go from there. Heck, jumper across the fuse with a jumper wire just to see, if you don't have a multi-meter. :good:

No, I'm sure I had it hooked up right. The two terminals are marked clearly B and M, I will just replace the fuse maybe

Stretching the limits of my memory, I seem to recall some aftermarket solenoids that had the connector wires reversed for the GL1100 applications. The wires closest to the fuse needed to be swapped with the ones furthest away. IIRC if you look into the connector on the solenoid you should be able to see where 2 of the pins are connected together. This is where the red and red/white wires go.

Thanks, I was also just reading an old post where someone had to file down the connector to make it seat right. I have the same type of replacement part and maybe I should look at that, thanks for the information, when you have a 34 year old bike, it pays to have someone else's input lol

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129581#p129581:f7exafye said:
bigguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 am[/url]":f7exafye]
thanks for the information, when you have a 34 year old bike, it pays to have someone else's input
Dan's vision for this community in a nut shell. :good:

~O~

Omega Man":2ixj51xj said:
Dan's vision for this community in a nut shell. :good:
~O~

AMEN! And, we've got plenty of nuts around here to put in them shells.... :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Now I also remember something about terminal swapping on an aftermarket solenoid....boy...that's an oldie there! :read:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129580#p129580:rca2f51q said:
roncar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:27 am[/url]":rca2f51q]
Stretching the limits of my memory, I seem to recall some aftermarket solenoids that had the connector wires reversed for the GL1100 applications. The wires closest to the fuse needed to be swapped with the ones furthest away. IIRC if you look into the connector on the solenoid you should be able to see where 2 of the pins are connected together. This is where the red and red/white wires go.
+1 on the reversed terminals you can test this with a multimeter which is the battery feed

I did the solenoid mod for my 11.. when I borrowed it for my gl1200 I put the fuse in from the bottom of the fuse holder... No need to modify the 4 wire connector... the red and red/white wires are after the fuse .......the fuse comes off the b side and run to those wires' connection.. I posted pictures of the after fuse position in another post.. replaced phone and pictures are not immediately available to me...

HERE'S your thread, Joe...it was at the bottom of the page here...where the "Similar Topics" area is.... :good:

Thanks Joel :music: :music: ... new phone tinier screen :head bang: .. slow processor.. No regular internet connection at home.. so missed it.. again thanks.. :salute:

Finally got the solenoid to work' I turned the main plug around so it was actually backwards to the original, and did what Joe Dey did, put the fuse in the bottom, and she fired up. First time the old girl ran in 4 years, stumbled a bit at first , but then smoothed right out, hard to beat the old Wings. I might give my Aspy a rest, and drive this old Interstate for awhile lol

Latest posts