They followed me home, can I keep them?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pays to check craigslist at lunch. I just brought home 2 1981 Interstates. One is a no-title parts bike and the other should be close to being a runner. Bit of a snag, the guy couldn't find the key. I can figure out how to hotwire it but I can't get to the tank to clean it and put in fresh gas. He said he'll find it and send it to me. I'm not holding my breath. Suggestions?

I intend to sell the complete one in one piece. It's got all the lights and geegaws you could ever want and one thing I've never even heard of- what appears to be a front centerstand. It's right below the radiator and has two feet and a bar to stand on to help get it up. I'll get pics tomorrow. After I get what I want off the parts bike I'll start selling stuff on ebay and try to get my money back out of it.

Attachments

• 140916_0000.jpg
    140916_0000.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 140916_0002.jpg
    140916_0002.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 140916_0003.jpg
    140916_0003.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 236
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131306#p131306:rhbfk1ou said:
Steve83 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 pm[/url]":rhbfk1ou]
Nice find! Remove 4 bolts and the false tank is off, and you have access to the gas cap.

I thought a couple of the screws were under the door so key was needed to get to them. Very well, that should enable me to try starting it tomorrow.

2 bolts under the front of the seat, and 2 at the front lower corners of the false tank. Fairing lowers need to come off, and there are access areas in the mounting bracket so you can get to the front bolts.

Anybody want an ugly-ass set of rear lights? I'm thinking I should take them off and destroy them just to make the world a better place. They both have trailer hitches. One has a nifty set of gauges mine doesn't. Volts, engine temp, clock, and altimeter? They are getting moved to mine. I'm taking a set of panniers too. I like these much better than the suitcase style mine had.

One also has one of those heel-toe shifters. I might have to yank that too. It has the big seats with backrests. I don't know about those. I might try it to see if I like it and if I do they can be recovered.

Nice find, no wonder you are getting barred from Craigslist. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131319#p131319:16njoiq2 said:
slabghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm[/url]":16njoiq2]
I'll take that front stand if you're selling it.

I just might. I want to try it to see if I like it and measure it so I can reproduce it. ;) If people like 'em I'll get a few made when I do. If I ever get that manifold made....

If that front stand is easier to use than the center stand it should be a valuable addition to a wing! The OEM one isn't a very good design. It lifts the bike much higher than it needs to and takes a lot of effort. Since I now have one to play with I'm going to see if I can modify one to work better.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131348#p131348:29c6e6a0 said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am[/url]":29c6e6a0]
No active makers of the front stand that I know of at this time.

Allllllrighty then. It will be removed, measured, and possibly reproduced. What did they sell for?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131350#p131350:30zi7amv said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 am[/url]":30zi7amv]
I've no idea but I'd give $40 for a new one. Maybe a bit more but I'd have to think on it.

It might be hard to make them only a few at a time for that. My very rough guess is $60. But I WILL reverse engineer it and find out.

I see why. It was hate at first try. I weight 265 and that wasn't enough. It doesn't give enough leverage and raises the 650lb bike much higher than necessary. I think the rear wheel is 4" off the ground. 1" would be plenty, in fact it doesn't really need to do that at all. Now my wheels are turning to modify the stock one by cutting it down and weld on a longer lever.

well they attach very good ...and are in the way ... ive thought the same thing before ... but a redesign is needed in my opinion on front stand ... and yes center stand has mega room to improve on too

Latest posts