How does one hotwire a Goldwing?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise I will only use this only for good and never for evil.
The bike I got last night has no key. The PO says he'll find it and send it to me but I can't imagine him making it a very high priority. I want to see if this thing will run or at least crank! I got the switch off the other one which was easy to get to because the fairing is off. I think I worked out which wires to jump at the switch but that doesn't help. Someplace I can get to has contact that will do the same thing as the key. I figure somebody here has done it.

Take a wire and run it from the fuse box to the supply side of the 4 ignition fuses in the diagram for a GL1100. Then connect the other end to the positive on the batter or the starter solenoid whichever is easiest for you. I just clip the wire under the fuse and tie the other end to the battery etc so that is is easy to disconnect in a hurry :yes:

Remember not to try riding with a steering lock on :yes:

In order the run a wire to the fuse box, you need to get the shelter open. With no key, that might be a problem. However, if you manage to pry the shelter open, get the code off of the lock, and have roncar make ya a set of keys. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131437#p131437:361lzktt said:
AApple » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 pm[/url]":361lzktt]
In order the run a wire to the fuse box, you need to get the shelter open. With no key, that might be a problem. However, if you manage to pry the shelter open, get the code off of the lock, and have roncar make ya a set of keys. :good:
The ONLY I didn't mention Ron was I thought the code was only on the key, great catch Joel. :good:

~O~

Roncar has pics of a different way. Pull the wiring plug off the ignition the use a jumper wire from the red hot wire to the ignition wire. Then jumper one for your lights. I made a small harness of three male blades connected to each other for this and keep it in my wallet. I use it often as my tank tilts up and back and have the ignition key on the tank. I will post pics later from my computer. I'm on my phone now. I haven't tried this with a fairing on., it may be more difficult with it on.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131458#p131458:1yzssf4j said:
ekvh » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 am[/url]":1yzssf4j]
Roncar has pics of a different way. Pull the wiring plug off the ignition the use a jumper wire from the red hot wire to the ignition wire. Then jumper one for your lights. I made a small harness of three male blades connected to each other for this and keep it in my wallet. I use it often as my tank tilts up and back and have the ignition key on the tank. I will post pics later from my computer. I'm on my phone now. I haven't tried this with a fairing on., it may be more difficult with it on.
Why use a jumper instead of the key?

My key switch is mounted the Mean Streak tank. It's more convenient to use this than removing the cover and switch. I also used it in when the switch went bad.
image.jpg

This is what I use, but on the road, a paper clip could work. Would need to be taped or insulated. This works should you lose your key, or forget your key. I don't have a pic of which terminals to use. Roncar posted it,mi think at NGW. The harness is the one right at the bottom of the ignition switch. I think they 1000/1100/1200 all are 90 degree connectors there. On my bike you use the the three connectors on the same side. There are five wires in the six pin connector. One is empty.

Phase 1 successful. Old gas drained. Battery hooked up. Starter tested -she cranks :yahoo: . Next I have to run out and get some hose clamps to replace the oem wire ones that I hate hate hate so I can hook the lines back up and find the right spot for that hotwire. We'll know tonight if this will be a quick flip to try and break even or worth a little effort and make a few bucks on it. It's a bad time to sell a bike but I'm sort-of out of room to store it for the winter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131509#p131509:2rnjtjga said:
chuck c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:49 am[/url]":2rnjtjga]
Phase 1 successful. Old gas drained. Battery hooked up. Starter tested -she cranks :yahoo: . Next I have to run out and get some hose clamps to replace the oem wire ones that I hate hate hate so I can hook the lines back up and find the right spot for that hotwire. We'll know tonight if this will be a quick flip to try and break even or worth a little effort and make a few bucks on it. It's a bad time to sell a bike but I'm sort-of out of room to store it for the winter.
:good: :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131437#p131437:2cr93okq said:
AApple » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 pm[/url]":2cr93okq]

Thanks for the tip! I got the cover off and removed the lock so I could see the numbers. Will that number be the same as the ignition?

Latest posts