Damage report....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
from my widdle mishap last week. I just realized I never said what happened, so here it is...
We have "HOV(high occupancy vehicle)" lanes around here, and I use the one on the way home. These lanes are defined by semi-flexible poles, mounted on non-flexible mounds fastened to the pavement. At specific intervals, there are openings in these lanes to allow entry/exit, and there is one of those openings just beyond where I get up onto the freeway, so I usually have time/space to maneuver over to the hov lane. That day, I apparently dint.

As I was attempting to go from the far right lane over to the far left(hov) lane, and there was a truck in the lane to the left of me, and I had to slow a bit to let him by, and zip over into the hov lane. Problem was, I was farther down the road than I thought, and when I zipped over to the left behind the truck, I ran right into the dang lane poles, and bounced over the hard divider mounds. Broke both side driving lights off, beat the crap outta the fairing, and bent the right hiway peg back like a pretzel. Fortunately, the bounce took my foot off the peg, or it would have prolly been mashed. I had to just keep goin, as there was another car coming down the hov lane....I couldn't stop, otherwise I'da got runned over by that car. I was lucky enough that it dint lay over, or bang up against the cement divider.
When this happened, the top shelter lids both flopped open, and stuff was flyin everywhere. I managed to grab my ziplock baggie with my 6oz bottle of atf between my left elbow and hip. At the same time, I'm tryin to keep the bike straight, hold onto the atf, and try to pick the stereo up off the steering head, since the brackets for it had also broken. Of course, with the stereo floppin, my radar defector was also in danger of flying off and hitting the ground....a $300 hit if it did. It was a friggin mess. :shock:
Once I got down to the end of the HOV lane(aboot 10 miles), I was able to pull off and asses the damage, and try to get everything back in place so it would be semi-safe to finish the ride home, which I did.
So....I got some new driving lights, and installed them Saturday. They came with a complete harness w/switch, all already pre-assembled. The lights also have multi-colored LED lights in them so I can have different colored clearance lamps when the driving lamps are off. Not sure I really like that, but, that's what was available at the time, so that's what I got.
Sunday, I tackled re-installing the stereo....that's where the real fun started. Once I got the stereo off, I found massive internal damage to the fairing. Major cracks everywhere. So.....I spent most of the day welding, and Quick Bond-ing the faring back together, on top of fabricating new bracketry to hold the stereo. Started working on it around 9am...finished(er...got tired) around 5pm. Happy to say the new brackets for the stereo hold it solidly to the fairing....no more bouncing/flexing around. Driving lights apparently work well enough for a Dallas cop that I was behind to flash HIS lights at me in an effort to get me to turn them off.... :blush: :hihihi:
I took a few pics of the fairing damage....I'll post them this evening. I think this winter I'm gunna hafta take the fairing off and do a lot of repairs to it....it's got a lot of cracks, and some missing plastic in places.... :builder:

When did this happen and how the hell did I miss it!? So you're okay but the Wing got beat up? Sorry to beat that Joel, I'm just really glad you are okay! I also hope I haven't responded to this topic in another thread because I don't remember. :oops:

Damn Shinko!! :smilie_happy:
Sorry to hear of your exciting demolition derby on the freeway. Good to know that you weren't hurt :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132496#p132496:2zz29flz said:
Omega Man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 pm[/url]":2zz29flz]
When did this happen and how the hell did I miss it!? So you're okay but the Wing got beat up? Sorry to beat that Joel, I'm just really glad you are okay! I also hope I haven't responded to this topic in another thread because I don't remember. :oops:

Uh...last week, O-man...in the "What did ya do to yer wing today" thread....
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132036#p132036:2zz29flz said:
AApple » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 pm[/url]":2zz29flz]
What did I do to my Wing today ? Uh....I wrecked it? Not bad, dint go down or nuttin, but busted both front/side driving lights off, scuffed the fairing pretty gud, banged the front fender up into the 3rd driving light I recently put on, and bent the S :sensored: T out of the right side hiway peg. Dang near pooped me panties. :blush:

Details tomorrow. I just came in from fixing some of it...it's nappy time now.... :lazy:
:mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132512#p132512:1k62r8s9 said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:07 pm[/url]":1k62r8s9]
Joel, the atf ain't THAT important, next time let it fly away.

Glad your ok bro.

But...it was the ONLY bottle I have that fits perfectly in the tool tray of the shelter.....I had to save it! :hihihi:

So, here's some pics of the damage, and repairs from Sunday. There was previous damage on the right side of the fairing that was there when I bought it. I had done some "welding" on parts of that, as well as Quick Bond, but all of it broke loose again with the jolt it got last week. I got down inside with the welder as much as I could this time around, but I'll need to completely remove the fairing this winter to do the job right on that side.

Cracks around the holes, and up top close to the windersheild

Cracks

Right side damage

Plastic weld front side. I built the area up quite a bit here, front and back, then sanded it down, and painted it Satin black....it blends right in to the fairing.

Plastic weld back side. Dint bother trying to smooth this side out.

Here's the airless Plastic Welder I have....works really well on this kinda stuff. Really just a glorified soldering iron, but the attachments allow for feeding the welding rod(plastic) down thru the center to fill in the area. Kit comes with several different types of plastic rods(abs, urethane, etc) to do just about any type of plastic repairs. I've used this to fix plastic raditater tanks. :yes:

Oh yeah..the new drivin lights....

I know those lanes... and hate the (non) safety they provide.... I didn't know they installed beating sticks.. lol glad your alright... and I know about catching things quick handed... caught a coffee cup that came loose from ny cup holder... it was already empty btw..

Not sure this is still good posted on the 10th.. but over in Arlington.. you could completely change the look of your ride though...... and have parts to spare or sell..

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mpo/4659492636.html

Hmmmm. I may hafta look into that, Joe....worth that in parts I need! :thanks:

Lots of goodies on that one, good luck with that Joel :good:
MBS is a real disease :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132581#p132581:1q10hs0w said:
Mysteryrider » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:33 pm[/url]":1q10hs0w]
Just glad to hear you made it through with only minor pantie damage to your person
Lol.

So far no response to my inquiry...don't know if it's still available or not at this point. Something looks weird about it, tho...no mirrors, and did ya'll notice the stereo sticking up outta the left side pocket? :smilie_happy:
Just hafta wait and see if they get back to me on it.... :whistling:

Latest posts