engine question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no simple method I'm aware of.
Far as I know the sleeves were pressed in and probably chilled.
There is a company here 'says' they can be re-sleeved but I haven't had them look at it yet.

hmmm not really sure if sleeves are removable ...i am rather sure honda wouldnt have them if they did remove ....you have to work with what it is most likely ....makes motor not worth much ...ive cleaned up some rather bad looking motors as in cylinders and came out good with then

If it's not badly pitted it may be salvageable. As for re sleeving I'm sure it's possible with the right machinist but I've never read or heard of it being done on these motors.

I would try removing any excess rust first, if they have a puddle of rust use some kind of rust remover first naval jelly or whatever but not a rust converter. Use a ball hone and see how they look, I have seen some really bad looking cylinders clean up very well, some light pitting is OK depending, best to do the above Take some pics to show some close ups of the cylinder walls.
Just bottom out a piston and use a little brake fluid and get as deep as you can, checking every 10-15 seconds.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133735#p133735:13luba9u said:
sgq700 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:04 pm[/url]":13luba9u]
isn't that kind of like refilling a bic lighter :shock:
If you mean that refilling a bic lighter is a waste of time and effort, there really is no comparison.
If the block can be saved it could mean several hundred dollars saved.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133739#p133739:5mb5q8it said:
sgq700 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:28 pm[/url]":5mb5q8it]
no.. i don't knock anything! just joke'n as usual
No problem.
Hope I didn't come off as offensive. Wasn't meant that way.

Yeah I think if the engine can be saved, even with light pitting, it's worth the effort. These cylinders and rings are tough.

I didn't take it any way Dan, I just wanted to be clear... i agree, hone the holes with the pistons in the block,run some marvel mystery oil(my favorite) and run it until it knocks or smokes too bad then stick in another bullet, keep riding with a smile.. I would have never guessed you could ride this many miles with so few dollars out of the pocket!