Exhaust Manifolds

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock manifolds and stock exhaust are way to expensive. Thought i'd go and have some bent an welded for a bench test. I'm wanting them to have mufflers with the correct back pressure if possible. Any ideas.... :laptop:

Correct back pressure will vary with choices of carbs or air filters as well as the actual displacement of the motor. Length and ID of the headers will also affect back pressure. What are your goals here? 4-4 exhaust? 4-2 exhaust near as quiet as stock? 4-1 exhaust? Custom making exhaust can get quite expensive. I prefer the look and sound of the Jardines exhaust myself.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136029#p136029:1d4on2tg said:
slabghost » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:45 pm[/url]":1d4on2tg]
Correct back pressure will vary with choices of carbs or air filters as well as the actual displacement of the motor. Length and ID of the headers will also affect back pressure. What are your goals here? 4-4 exhaust? 4-2 exhaust near as quiet as stock? 4-1 exhaust? Custom making exhaust can get quite expensive. I prefer the look and sound of the Jardines exhaust myself.
Stock carburetor, stock airbox stock exhaust real real quite

i have not done it on a Goldwing, but I have built a couple of headers for the early 70's SOHC CB750 Honda , and I built a set for a GT750 Suzuki , ( Water Buffalo ) i built each of them with a , movable , adjustable , baffle , like the Butterfly in the bottom of a Car Carburetor . with a set screw to hold it when you get it where you want it . easy to build , easy to adjust . I took measurements how long each pipe needs to be , how much bend and where , i let Midas cut and bend the pipe , I took the pieces home and kinda stuck them together ON the Bike.. spot welded them together , took them off..... and really welded them right....... and put them back on. and did it for just about pocket change. just a few dollars anyway.

it seems that unless carbs are really good exhaust dosnt seem to effect things that much ...now that my bike weber carb and dial in i can tell the difference it exhaust now ...and havnt ventured to far ...i had jardines on it and it dial in with them ...i have noticed a difference in the exhaust i have now and it is not finished yet

Stock real quiet? Seems a lot of 1500 parts on ebay now. 've no idea what the header size is on them but maybe the header pipes could be separated and then installed. Using 1500 mufflers it should be really quiet. Actually most take off mufflers of any brand are pretty quiet. Now you have me considering ideas here. I like the idea of a 4-1 exhaust with the single muffler on the left side.

1500 exhaust manifolds/headers are tiny compared to the earlier versions. I think they are only an inch outside diameter. I was thinking of trying them just to see what effect they would have. They're cut up, but I don't know when I'll get to them. They will probably help bottom end but hinder top end.

How similar are the flat 4 Subarus to our GW engines. There has been lots of hi perf. Subaru exhaust systems...maybe we could do similar/copy.

Maybe a 4 into 2 into 1 system. I think you pair up cylinders that are farthest apart in firing order for first pairing. Might be a lot of pipes crossing back and forth across bottom of engine...hmmm. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. :Awe: :head bang: :headscratch:

Latest posts