How to 2 tone paint. Side covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how you go about painting 2 tone. Like in the picture that i posted. I'm rattle can painting my fairing,side covers and saddlebags and was thinking of 2 tone painting som of them. Colors are blue with light gray as the 2 tone in the middle of side covers.

Attachments

• side cover.jpg
    side cover.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20150227_154158.jpg
    20150227_154158.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 223
Get the right masking tape and be sure the first color is very dry. You don't want to lift fresh paint when you lift the tape.

Cover everything you do not want painted. It's easiest to outline your desired shape with very narrow tape then use wider tape over it to hold butcher paper or newspaper to cover the rest that you do not want painted. After both coats you may want to define it with pin striping tape. It covers slight imperfections and makes the difference really stand out.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142101#p142101:1zrppmot said:
slabghost » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 pm[/url]":1zrppmot]
Cover everything you do not want painted. It's easiest to outline your desired shape with very narrow tape then use wider tape over it to hold butcher paper or newspaper to cover the rest that you do not want painted. After both coats you may want to define it with pin striping tape. It covers slight imperfections and makes the difference really stand out.
+1 what Slabghost said

Thanks I'm trying. Not bad for doing it in house when wife is working. I have a nice wife. I just get yell at for the paint odor. I can't doing any other work on bike it's just to cold outside to work on motor, so i pick painting.
I try to explain to wife before i when out for surgery FEB.2 that i had it all planned how to work on bike but she said NO WAY.
#1 bring bike and motor into living room.
#2 use bath tub as a parts washer
#3 use kitchen counter for work bench

Well as you can see that did not fly.
So i took one day and while she was at work, i brought the fairing and side covers in to sand and paint. Everything was going good till one day spraying some parts which i have a blanket laying on floor i shoot the spray can and sprayed the carpeting, so there is gray primer on the rug. I cover it with blanket, but when she got home she moved it because it was in middle of room, boy did i catch hell.