Cutting down a windshield

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bib

Reaction score
What's the best method for chopping a windshield? I'm planning on cutting down my old stock 1100 windshield for use when the weather's hot. Any photos of any that you cut down?.....I have a patten traced out but haven't started cutting yet so it's subject to change. Not sure when I'll get started on it....so much important work to get done before the riding season gets here...

A router worked slick for me. I made an old windscreen clamped on as a guide and used a pattern-cutting bit to follow the curve. It leaves a smooth finish.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142483#p142483:zeu2bjzn said:
ekvh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm[/url]":zeu2bjzn]
A router worked slick for me. I made an old windscreen clamped on as a guide and used a pattern-cutting bit to follow the curve. It leaves a smooth finish.
:good:

there are many ways ...i just used a jig saw with and aggressive wood blade....and them filed it ...i wouldnt suggest any try ..who knows how many miles i got on a jig saw .....but i did get it cut in no time at all...

My dad cut his on the 84 Aspy right on the bike. Used a basic skill saw with a fresh sharp blade, I think a fine blade works a little better. Mask the area where the saw will travel with some good wide painter tape. Layout your line and feed the blade slow and steady. The tape will protect the wind shield and prevent excessive burring. Then you can dress the top of the windshield. Pull the tape of and Viola! Worked like a charm and didnt have to take anything apart.

Good Luck!

However it's done be aware. You are cutting plastic. Temperature makes a difference. Too cold and vibration can break the shield easily.

I did this on this bike,made it look like a Memphis shade.masking tape jig saw,files.primer,paint

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 228
Tom, that looks really nice, I'm thinking about doing something similar with my old screen on my windjammer.

Thats a good Idea, Don't know if I want another summer behind a windscreen, thought about just removing it altogether,I suppose that can be done, not sure it would look as custom but I would get a fresh breeze.

I used blue painters tape, a card board pattern to draw the line, and a new fine tooth blade in the jig saw. Did both my vetter and Honda windscreen right on the bike. After cutting, a few strokes with a fine tooth file to give a factory-finished edge, easy peasy. Brought them down to eyeline so I could see over the top. Note: On the Honda windscreen, the painters tape took off a very thin film that was on the surface. you have to stand at just the right angle to see it. Not a problem when riding. On the Vetter-faired bike I now get a slight push on the back of my helmet from the new wind pattern(turbulence) that makes my neck tired after a 3 hour ride. Going to investigate wind-wings to see if I can change the turbulence pattern. My neck got sore enough to finish the ride holding my head up with my hand on my chin!

Attachments

• IMG_8276small.jpg
    IMG_8276small.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 191
I like Tom's. I plan to do mine just about that same height when it gets warm. I got a spare in last years' deal for a parts bike so I will keep one full size for cold.

I'd advise not trying to cut the acrylic if it's very cold. Normally it wouldn't matter but it's now 30+ years old and might be a bit brittle. I'd want it to be at least 60*. Setting up to use a router is more work but the edge will need almost no finishing. If you use a saw you will have to file/sand the edge. Go easy there! If you go crazy with a power tool you'll overheat it and in a few days you'll have lots of ugly tiny hairline cracks called "crazing". You can use a power sander, just let the paper cut. Don't bare down and don't keep it in one spot, keep it moving. I suggest practicing on the piece you cut off.

When you've got it pretty smooth you can make it glassy and shiny by very lightly brushing it with a propane torch flame. It will melt just a paper thickness of it and make it super smooth. For sure practice that on scrap!

Well I finally got around to cutting 50mm off my Vetter screen and couldn't be happier. Used the dual blade saw and almost had a disaster as the melted lexen glued the counter rotating blades together. Pulled them apart and cleaned them up and made sure that I fed wax into the blades to stop binding up from happening again ( comes with wax sticks that feed onto the blades). Finished up sanding the screen using my Black and Decker power file which is a half inch belt sander.
Making template
Marking out 50mm lower
Marked out cut lines and added curve to meet existing edge of screen
Dual saw blades stuck together with melted Lexen
Rough cut
Cut line sanded up with Powerfile
Finished job mounted up

Certainly is a lot cooler in my full face helmet now but I may be getting more bug strikes on my helmet visor ( need to do a night time ride), at least now I can look over the top of the screen rather than beside it if it is fogged up or covered in rain :good: