Anniversary Trip

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I just returned from Niagara Falls NY and Canada. Today is 29 years together so we wanted to get away. Rather than spending in the cage, I convinced her into taking one of the bikes along with, so I loaded the 1200 up on Friday and we hit the road.

fyl98fM5QmN_WZLels0gen05GIJz1PFZQtAgc5DyHOE=w1698-h955-no

We got to Buffalo, NY right at rush hour, so we wasted some time in a Joe's Crab Shack... Yummy!

After that we drove the last 30 minutes to the hotel where I unloaded the bike and we jumped on and rode off to the falls. Not even 20 minutes after being there, we were not so politely introduced to the front fender of Ma and Pa's Buick Le Sabre. The left highway peg tangled with some plastic and left its mark. For it's part in the play, all it did was fold up out of the way.

Y0w8PwpLmrctfippFsskqE6LRW1D5Oxz5wvg7breDAw=s800-no

Sadly though, the left saddlebag door bump bar somehow got caught in the fender skirt of the Buick and the door was ripped off of the saddlebag and the saddlebag was ripped out of the front lug. For those that do know know what I mean, the front lug goes in first and is a metal spike about 1 1/2 inches long and then the back lug locks the bag onto the rack. How the front of the bag ripped out and didn't do any other damage than bend the saddlebag frame slightly, I have no idea.

The inside of the bag rubbed against the rotor and I lost a little plastic from the bag, and some of the paint got scuffed up on the door:

ns9Z7jeI3PtWU7zfYbQWff1T2m6SdlXv5S6AiREWmQw=w1698-h955-no

87AmwNxn76-ZnMlp0PgtzfjAEfYEz_L9p-CmHn_Wk_A=w1698-h955-no

I calmly walked back to Ma and Pa and politely asked if they knew that my saddlebag door was stuck in their car. I also asked Pa if he was fit to drive. Guess what his response was... all together now: "I didn't see you." I said: My bike weighs 750 pounds, and when my wife and I are on it, there is more than 1,000 pounds of stuff that you just didn't see. Maybe you should use your mirrors better." Now was when Ma got involved and stated: "Oh, he uses his mirrors." To which, I replied: "If he did, he wouldn't have just told me "I didn't see you." I further explained that the only reason I was still calm was because my wife was not hurt. Ma's face went white.

In the end, the trip was well worth it. We had a GREAT weekend even with the mirror accident. Niagara Falls is a spectacular place to see. If you take the trip, you simply have to go to the Canadian side because the view is much better.

US side:

LUqAj0PtWwenM1Y0Tp7cuD4Kt4pUtDwgR-pJvY8q0SA=w1698-h955-no

Canadian Side:

yYDtGwxc6u7giE3ms-RomLrnC_mkv3cGEDm0LSRhEQw=w1698-h955-no

That's what makes that kind of 1200 unique :Egyptian:

Oh, and to fix it, I just needed to stop at the local Wally mart and but some machine screws and nuts and bolt the hinges back on. I had to ride around Friday evening with bungie cords holding the door on. It looked real Clampett like... :smilie_happy:

Love the Vetters. Glad that you guys weren't injured and looks like you had a great time for your anniversary :good:

thats a trip we are talking about doing some time. Niagara is on the bucket list. so, the Canadian side is best ?
also, is that bridge in the US side pic , upstream or down from the shot taken on the Canadian side ?
ps
glad you didnt get hurt . i have been back ended by a car and it is no fun.............

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154666#p154666:2nuht4y6 said:
aussiegold » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 am[/url]":2nuht4y6]
thats a trip we are talking about doing some time. Niagara is on the bucket list. so, the Canadian side is best ?
also, is that bridge in the US side pic , upstream or down from the shot taken on the Canadian side ?
ps
glad you didnt get hurt . i have been back ended by a car and it is no fun.............

That bridge is the Rainbow bridge and is downstream of the falls: about a mile.

Oh... if you go, make sure you take the boat ride. The view is awesome from below too!

fKDBc-uvSYrjzduU8FNL_l4E_T32eoYRJAEJK9MVME4=w1371-h771-no

7Nc1Vhuaeozgp2NskqIBbWn2D5byaKn_lvRuTzpWkoM=w1221-h771-no

S9gShVHjSNlNJ0qNo_HYTk778pUvM2HYr5K5KPWT-W4=w1371-h771-no