Coolant leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went camping this weekend.
On the way, my Jeep's engine overheated.
Stopped at the gas station and opened the hood. Steam rising from the radiator.
Waited until it cools down and filled the reservoir with tap water.
The engine ran fine after that but the next morning there was no water in the reservoir again.

This radiator was replaced exactly two years ago. It got cracked.

I am not sure what to do this time.
Go to the mechanic and spend another $1000 for a new radiator again?
Put those leak-stop chemicals and see what happens?
It may not be the radiator but the hose somewhere? How can I tell?

Some models of Jeep were super tough to get all the air out of the cooling system. You should probably ask on a jeep forum. If it's any consolation I've just replaced the motor in my ranger and it still doesn't run. Out of daylight for today.

A lot of jeeps have the engine higher than the rad,either park nose up on a hill or jack up the front end and burp it that way

Thanks everyone.

I guess I just go to the mechanic. I don't really have any appetite for working on the Jeep in my drive way..
It's been okay after the radiator change 2 years ago. It took almost a day for the mechanic to do it (my son and I were there, waiting.. that was during another camping trip). So I don't think it was air in the system or like that.

Possible blown head gasket?
Hmmmm sounds very expensive (sigh)

It had another overheating issue before that and that was a stuck thermostat. At that time, they did pressure test and head gasket was okay.

So again, no magic chemical deal here huh?

Sorry this won't help your over heating problems but I can't stop laughing...
[video]https://youtu.be/5sVmoOZRypk[/video]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163050#p163050:2kbljbx7 said:
skiri251 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm[/url]":2kbljbx7]
1: Waited until it cools down and filled the reservoir with tap water.
2: The engine ran fine after that but the next morning there was no water in the reservoir again.

1: If you waited until it cooled down to add water to the reservoir, all you did was fill the reservoir, not the actual radiator.
2: The coolant in the reservoir was sucked into the radiator when the engine got back to operating temp. That's how the system is designed to work.
If you see no leaks anywhere(including on the floorboard inside the cabin), and you have no coolant in the engine oil, then it's possible the thermostat stuck again, the rad cap is not holding proper pressure, or something along those lines. With the engine stone cold, remove the rad cap and see how much coolant is actually in the rad. If it is low, fill it with coolant/water, and fill the reservoir, then run the engine until it gets to operating temp.....look for any leaks anywhere. Don't condemn anything just yet....let's see if there is a major malfunction first. Might be a simple loose/damaged rad cap. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163084#p163084:1nma8t8l said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:00 am[/url]":1nma8t8l]
Some models fill only thru the reservoir, no radiator cap. They are tough to get full.

Maybe my Jeep (BTW, it's Liberty not Grand Cherokee, LOL) is that kind of setup?
I can't see the radiator cap. I thought it might be hidden somewhere under the plastic covers..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163081#p163081:158r4i70 said:
AApple » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:38 pm[/url]":158r4i70]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163050#p163050:158r4i70 said:
skiri251 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm[/url]":158r4i70]
1: Waited until it cools down and filled the reservoir with tap water.
2: The engine ran fine after that but the next morning there was no water in the reservoir again.

1: If you waited until it cooled down to add water to the reservoir, all you did was fill the reservoir, not the actual radiator.
2: The coolant in the reservoir was sucked into the radiator when the engine got back to operating temp. That's how the system is designed to work.
If you see no leaks anywhere(including on the floorboard inside the cabin), and you have no coolant in the engine oil, then it's possible the thermostat stuck again, the rad cap is not holding proper pressure, or something along those lines. With the engine stone cold, remove the rad cap and see how much coolant is actually in the rad. If it is low, fill it with coolant/water, and fill the reservoir, then run the engine until it gets to operating temp.....look for any leaks anywhere. Don't condemn anything just yet....let's see if there is a major malfunction first. Might be a simple loose/damaged rad cap. :good:

Here's what I did.

Saturday
9:00 Engine Overheat
9:30 Filled the reservoir (above the cold fill line) and continued on the camping trip (water temp was normal)
10:30 Arrived at the camp site

Sunday
8:00 Looked at the reservoir and found no water. Filled it to cold fill line and headed home.
10:30 Arrived home after 100 miles drive on freeways (water temp was normal)

During Sunday's drive home, water temp was normal. But I smelled that sweet coolant smell.
At home I looked at the radiator. I saw wet trace of coolant leak on it. I think it's the same spot where I saw steam coming out when the engine overheated.

When the thermostat stuck closed several years ago, the engine temp went up immediately once I started driving. This didn't happen this time.
So I am afraid it is yet again cracked radiator (or leaky hose somewhere :beg: ) after only two years in use.

Steam shouldn't come out even when the engine is overheating, right?
Or is there a pressure relief valve of sort?

I'd fill the reservoir and go trade it for a nice Subaru myself. Over heated coolant will collect in the resaervoir steaming from the vent there or overflowing if enough of it is expelled by the heat. I'm pretty sure the newer Jeeps don't have radiator caps and must be filled through one of the hoses initially then through the reservoir.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163091#p163091:288u94o5 said:
slabghost » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:42 am[/url]":288u94o5]
I'd fill the reservoir and go trade it for a nice Subaru myself. Over heated coolant will collect in the resaervoir steaming from the vent there or overflowing if enough of it is expelled by the heat. I'm pretty sure the newer Jeeps don't have radiator caps and must be filled through one of the hoses initially then through the reservoir.

Ahhhh.. I see. From the reservoir.
Oh well, I need a van to carry two proper sized dirt bikes anyway.
(Currently I remove front wheel from my son's and put it in the Jeep.)
Time to sell that d@mn Jeep.

But in the short term, I need it next Monday.
I have another camping trip (220 miles round trip).
Do you think I can fill the reservoir and go?
Or will this crack suddenly develop to catastrophic proportion and get me stranded?

It's driveable?
I'd go to a radiator shop.
I don't trust most auto repair shops but a good radiator shop will look at it and give honest options. They should be able to pressure test it to find the leak.
You could throw money at this and still have a problem otherwise.

You can try filling the reservoir each time you park it. As the motor cools coolant will be drawn in. If the leak is equal to or less than the capacity of the reservoir you might be okay. With it being sealed as it is. It's almost impossible to add any stop leak products. If the temp starts to rise above normal stop and fill the reservoir and let the motor cool to draw it in.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163094#p163094:1ufhgnw0 said:
dan filipi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 am[/url]":1ufhgnw0]
It's driveable?
I'd go to a radiator shop.
I don't trust most auto repair shops but a good radiator shop will look at it and give honest options. They should be able to pressure test it to find the leak.
You could throw money at this and still have a problem otherwise.

I think it's driveable. As far as I keep an eye on coolant level and water temp.
But I don't know a good radiator shop...
I was thinking about nearby Midas. You think they are okay?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163095#p163095:3nz7yzlh said:
slabghost » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:23 am[/url]":3nz7yzlh]
You can try filling the reservoir each time you park it. As the motor cools coolant will be drawn in. If the leak is equal to or less than the capacity of the reservoir you might be okay. With it being sealed as it is. It's almost impossible to add any stop leak products. If the temp starts to rise above normal stop and fill the reservoir and let the motor cool to draw it in.

Thanks.
Maybe I will take a chance on it for the last time.

I would go to the source, not an intermediary. Get an opinion from a radiator shop, not a mechanic. Otherwise, you are adding the mechanic's time & cost to the repair cost that will be done by the radiator shop.

My granddaughter has a Liberty that did the same thing. I filled the reservoir twice and then handed the problem over to her husband. She still has the car, but wants to dump it when it's paid off.