Never fall asleep drivin this thing...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
You'll not do it... :shock:

Figured some of you old fart drivers would dig this.....I'm tired just watchin.... :hihihi:

[video]https://youtu.be/8lEYaTvvq4g[/video]

smileys-car-driving-296195.gif

I've done two stick but never had to try three. With all the hills around here that would really suck.

Been there, done that (although the shifters were a lot shorter than those). Later on, I drove a 24 speed AutoCar cement mixer. It only had two sticks, but on the main shifter it had a round disc on top with a triple button air shifter that allowed you to use the same stick but go through the gears by moving the button instead of multiple sticks. The second shifter was needed to use the low-low gears. If you used LL-1, you could pop that clutch out at any RPM and never stall. The engine would be racing at 2700 RPM and the wheels would barely move inches. You practically walk that machine up a 90 degree angle!

Here is an example of the shifter knob. This one is for a 13 speed transmission. Same principle for the 24 speed, just more gears in the shift pattern:

image.php

13 speed shift pattern:

image.php

Yep, wore all them t-shirts, even the old Diamond Reo Tri-Plex's. Good video, do that for five or 600 miles a day and you didn't need anybody to rock you to sleep at night cause back then there wasn't to much interstate to travel on, it was two lane, with stop signs, traffic lights and small towns to get through, never heard much about air conditioning or power steering and steering wheels were so big you reached one arm through them and steered with your arm while your two hand smoved the shifter. Ahhh, the good old days !!!!

And why? What happens if you make a mistake?

The reason is you can choose which gear level is required based on a load. For example, with the cement mixer, if the barrel was empty, I would would skip all of the low low gears and actually start off in 2nd gear (which had a reasonable ratio for an empty truck). You can skip certain gears if light load.

However, when fully loaded, I might still skip low low gears when on the street, but use them when on a muddy job site where I do not want to get stuck. On the road with a load, the order is needed to keep the momentum of the truck going at the correct rate of speed to keep the transmission synchronized with the output. Gravity has fun slowing down a loaded vehicle very quickly and if you slow down too fast the synchro goes out and you end up grinding gears. You have a chance to stop the grinding if you can get the engine rpm high enough to re-synchonize, but that doesn't always work.

If you make a mistake........you grind gears and might have to start over. Also, we only used the clutch to disengage the transmission when the truck was stopped. Once moving, all shifting was done without using a clutch by syncronizing the rpm.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175939#p175939:4vdan8ec said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:11 am[/url]":4vdan8ec]
And why? What happens if you make a mistake?

The reason is you can choose which gear level is required based on a load. For example, with the cement mixer, if the barrel was empty, I would would skip all of the low low gears and actually start off in 2nd gear (which had a reasonable ratio for an empty truck). You can skip certain gears if light load.

However, when fully loaded, I might still skip low low gears when on the street, but use them when on a muddy job site where I do not want to get stuck. On the road with a load, the order is needed to keep the momentum of the truck going at the correct rate of speed to keep the transmission synchronized with the output. Gravity has fun slowing down a loaded vehicle very quickly and if you slow down too fast the synchro goes out and you end up grinding gears. You have a chance to stop the grinding if you can get the engine rpm high enough to re-synchonize, but that doesn't always work.

If you make a mistake........you grind gears and might have to start over. Also, we only used the clutch to disengage the transmission when the truck was stopped. Once moving, all shifting was done without using a clutch by syncronizing the rpm.

Hmmmm..

But why you need three sticks?
Easier to implement mechanically?

Nowadays, everything is computerized?

Interesting to know that you don't use the clutch at all. I thought you use double-clutch to synchronize.

Also, big sneezles have a limited operating range, rpm-wise. The multiple gears available help keep the engine running in it's sweet spot, rpm-wise.

The transmission in the video has been modified to add the 3rd stick....it would not normally have 3 shifters...the spliter function would normally be accomplished with an electric servo motor on the trans. This particular guy is apparently just a glutton for punishment....and a lil bit of a show-off... :hihihi:

well i'll make some of you guys laugh. when I first started driving trucks the company I worked for had 13speed transmissions in all their big trucks, it's what I learned on and all I knew. a few years later we got some new trucks, I get out on the expressway and I can't find the splitter, what the heck. I pull on the shoulder thinking it came loose and fell off but I can't find it on the floor. I sat back in the seat, not looking forward to finding a phone booth and just happened to look up and there it was, the shift pattern and the words " fuller road ranger nine speed overdrive " doooh

I drove Mack 5 speed U and R models. That old R model did not have a turbo and boy could it blow some black smoke! I also drove Mack MB and MR models. The MB would break your back, but the MR was like the Starship Enterprise!

We used to do one better once 13 overdrive's came out by taking the trans out and swapping the last two gears around, changing holes where you ending up with the last gear up against the dash instead of towards the rear of the cab. This gave you "double overdrive" and if you had the engine, which we did, you could haul some ass on the interstate. Running triple digits, loaded was very easy.

I didn't think anybody used those old browning boxes anymore. I think the 13 speed roadranger is probably the best transmission for today's trucks. Before I retired we were getting a lot of trucks in with the Allison automatic transmissions, boy these drivers today are spoiled. Not only that, back in the 70s and into the 80s most trucks didn't have power steering, it made them boys work. Not only that, they had no horsepower, 300 to 350 was common, today 500 to 600 is common.

It's a 13 speed. Two of those levers are connected to air valves that are plumbed in to replace the range shifter and splitter valves normally found in the shift knob. Like all the little chrome snap-on covers on the dashboard and switches it's just a bunch of attention getting bull$hit. If he ever shows up around where people drive real trucks they laugh themselves silly looking at his toy.

Latest posts