Original "Adams' Apple" found?!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Maybe...sure looks like it....
So here's the story. Way back in the day, I used to have a red '58 MGA(actually, I had two of them) drag car. I put a small block Chebby engine/trans in it, and a Corvette rear suspension/diff. Since the car was red, and my last name is Adams, I came up with the "Adams' Apple" name, and that name has been used for ALL of my red vehicles since then. I still have the rear deck emblem!
Here's a reference pic for those that have no clue what a MGA is...
9DB2E_58MGAa.jpg

Anywho...I traded the car, minus engine-trans to a Ford fanatic, and he spent untold hours/$$$ turning it into a Cobra look-alike, with a Ford engine/trans. Did a dam fine job of it, too. Thru the years, I had seen the car around town in different owner's garages, back yards, and shops, but eventually lost track of it. Always wondered whatever happened to it. Well...today, while looking for something else for someone, I stumbled across what I believe to be that very car....it has all of the exact same mods that my buddy did to convert it, and it looks(except paint color/engine) to be THE one. Freaked me out! The feller that posted the pics is in Louisiana, and he stated that someone had given him the car, and he was just looking for info on it.
I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut this is the ORIGINAL "Adams' Apple", post conversion....
I have some Polaroid pics of the car when I owned it, during the build that I did...I'll dig them out, scan, and post them when I can, but for now, enjoy these two of it as it is now.... :mrgreen:

26Z7B_MGA_Cobra.jpg

77614_58mga.jpg

Very cool!! :clapping:

I also noticed in that garage pic that I'm not the only one with an upright grand piano in their garage!
(Looks like a Cunningham or Lester)

Nice!..Yea, cars don't usually go too far..I was a service tech and traveled all over the valley and at least once a year would see a car either I owned or a friend owned either parked and collecting dust or in a parking lot...as time went on less and less or maybe the cars left the valley with the collectors market exploding,
Just last year I went to look at records and found an old friends 66 Plymouth sitting in a side yard, springs sitting high,motor out just waiting to be restored...We talked and I gave him the history of it..
Neat find, I hope you can get it back.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127072#p127072:8zo5qyak said:
Omega Man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 am[/url]":8zo5qyak]
Cool car! Who makes it?

~O~

It's an MG...."Morris Garage"....English cars....Google MGA, MGB, MG Midget, MG TC.....Midgets were popular in the '70s, and the GT models were the cat's meow...very collectible these days. :good: The MGA originally came with a TINY widdle 4 cyl engine. Don't remember what size it was, but the physical size was small enough to handle without a lift/hoist... :mrgreen:
And no...not tinkin about trying to get it back....it's tooo "Ford" for me now.... :smilie_happy: Just thought it was kewl to see it on the innerwebz. I did find the old polaroids I have of it...will scan/post them this evenin.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127176#p127176:3kwsx1dn said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:42 pm[/url]":3kwsx1dn]
Very cool!! (I have to admit, I really like how the Ford version turned out!) :yes:

+1 :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127207#p127207:250w707e said:
Steve83 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 am[/url]":250w707e]
+3! Sad if that's a junkyard it's sittin' in...
Not sad...not sad at all! I worked there! :good: The wrecking yard owner was a hot rodder buddy of mine, too....that's one of the reasons I could get just about anything I needed for a project!(btw...these pics are from 1978.... :yes: ) There were a LOT of super nice cars come out of that shop back then....including a rodeo clown car!(Quail Dobbs, r.i.p) From lead sleds to full blown drag cars...we did it. In fact, in front of the MGA in these pics is a '76 Musturd I was putting a V-8 in...the first one ever, that we were aware of. :good:
"Shorty" was originally a FOUR DOOR. The rear door section was cut out(48", iirc), the rear bumped forward, and all welded back together. Frame was also cut/welded. That is the car that had the Corvette rear diff, and Corvette front spindles/disc brakes used on the MG A.
When we first heard about "Shorty", the guy that owned it told us it had the Corvette suspension on it.....with 4.11 gears. We were running a '72 Corvette at the time, and needed some better gears. The feller lets us swap the front housings/gears for a few bucks....and we did it laying on the ground, in a cow pasture...
Somehow, we eventually wound up owning Shorty...don't remember how that happened tho.
To the right of Shorty in the pic, you'll see the tail end of the '56 drag car I was in the process of starting on. Back then, it was no big deal to have 4-5 project cars goin on at the same time. MY problem was, I needed to use the same engine/trans(only had the one set-up) in ALL of them, so I did a lot of swappin!!

Ahhhhhhh...the good ol days..... :salute:

Latest posts