WiFi 3G,4G ..My heads spinning.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made the decision to go with a simple cheap mobile phone, not a smart phone, I want to cancel my Verizon DSL/home phone and buy a Hot Spot gizmo..Looking at strait talk,Internet on the go, Karma and freedom pop. Maybe Virgin too but what stumps me is the data plans. I find the 25-30 dollar a month plans reasonable with 1.5 to 2.0 GB data per month.
I don't do any streaming or download music or files..I just spend at most 3 hours a day on web sites or you tube,Ebay sometimes, dont do much email either
Do you think 1.5GB is enough?.
Something else it looks like "Internet on the go" brand does rollover on their data so whatever you use will be credited and you just use what you need, I like that.
Any advice or input on the choices. Some say 3G only, some are both 3 and 4G and some are strait WiFi. I have gotten a sense that 3G would suit me since I`m not in a huge hurry and my DSL is probably similar in speed.
Wi Fi I`m not sure of and maybe it wont be around in the future, seems like everyone is going to 3 and 4G.
I have been reading the fine print too and find most all have service fees and other dollar or two fees they tack on, I am trying to find a strait deal and not get sucked into the vortex.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

1.5 gigs won't be enough, to be reasonably safe I'd go minimum 10 gigs with the use you mentioned.
Videos burn data fast.

An example is we took a weekend trip to Vegas, the 5 of us, and using my cell phone as a data link for the laptop, we burned 1.5 gig on the trip there with not much YouTube use.

Slabghost is on WiFi hotspot now. Maybe he could tell you how that's working out for him after a few months with it.

If I'm not mistaken the 3g and 4g are all wifi . Mine is a 3g wifi hot spot that I can carry with me. 10 gig limit and I'm usually pretty close by the end of the month. mine is AT&T and not at all cheap. I monitor my usage though. I've used 4.21 gig so far and I still have 24 days left. But I've watched a good many vids on youtube this last week. When I get over 8 gigs I'll just quit watching vids at all until it resets. ATT does not carry over. What you don't use you lose. Get the most you can for your money.

I have a 3G card with 2g of data in my iPad and I have used it up one month even though I also use my DSL at home via wifi. If you don't watch too much video I think that you could get away with 3g of data per month. My iPhone 5s comes with 3g per month of data and I have been using some of this on the iPad using the hotspot feature. 4G is not available in many places but when it is the speed is heaps better than 3G. I think that a smart phone or tablet would serve you better as mobile apps use heaps smaller amounts of data than a laptop or computer. Make sure that you can move your plan up or down without penalties so that there isn't a penalty if you change to suit your actual needs. :rtfm: Good luck with your quest Jeff :good:

Thanks for the link Mike, G stands for generation, lots of good info for an old man, thank to all for the info..
I can get a good deal on unlimited data plan, I have heard of tethering where you put a phone close to the device and it picks up the wifi signal, they say there are apps for this and that the cell companies charge for this service but the app can get around paying extra. They say you need a smart phone but I would think any phone that has data can accept an app, not sure you need an android or I phone.

The 4G network is very limited in service area at the present and with the technology advancing as fast as it is I don't think it's worth buying a phone with the 4G capabilities right now, what's the use of having it if you can't use it. Not all 4G phones have backwards tech so you can use them on 3G network so your screwed again. Verizon has been trying to sell me 4G for like a year and a half and the infrastructure is not even available in my area. I use a Verizon 3G Mi-Fi hot spot for my internet with 10G at 80.00 per month, mostly for the convenience of carrying my internet with me wherever I go. My smartphone has unlimited data for 30.00 month and I have been with Verizon for about nine years and I can't complain about their service, all in all very satisfied with them. I would love to have the speed of 4G but that will have to wait until they get the infrastructure up to pare.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133865#p133865:36r9gw5a said:
joedrum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 am[/url]":36r9gw5a]
:headscratch: sheesh talk about not a clue ....thats me ...
Yea..It`s allot of learning to get by these days..I miss simpler times...Thinking maybe I`ll stay with the DSL, I wasn't aware I would need 7-10GB of data, I would gain nothing by switching except the portability and I don't need that.
Thanks all.

When we originally tried to get a DSL hookup, ATT told us "No-one is using DSL anymore...it's not available. You HAVE to go wireless". Amazingly enough, when we did go with ATT and their "bundle", guess what we got? Go ahead...guess.....I'll wait..... :whistling:
:head bang:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133928#p133928:11nzbi0z said:
AApple » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm[/url]":11nzbi0z]
When we originally tried to get a DSL hookup, ATT told us "No-one is using DSL anymore...it's not available. You HAVE to go wireless". Amazingly enough, when we did go with ATT and their "bundle", guess what we got? Go ahead...guess.....I'll wait..... :whistling:
LSD?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133928#p133928:1sg74osh said:
AApple » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm[/url]":1sg74osh]
Judging by your post, I would say you got cable.

I have been researching and found out an interesting fact, you do not need phone service to get DSL, you do need a line but thats all, no dial tone nessisary. So if I am understanding this right I can cancel my phone and internet bundle and just shop for a DSL provider who is in my area.
Looking so far has turned up NetZero for 19.99 for the first 6 months then 22.99 after, less then half what i`m paying now. Still looking around but I bet there are plenty around here.
They call it "Naked DSL"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_DSL