Phone scam WARNING!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
Wife got a phone call today. Person claimed he received calls our computer was infected with a virus. Scared her enough to wake me. When I realized it was by phone I told her just hang up and went back to sleep. I don't know what the real scam is as I didn't let it get that far. But be aware they are trying this tack now. :Awe:

I got one a few months ago, clearly from India, I guess if they call 100 people they will get one sucker...Cant imagine anyone falling for it.
By the way I told him I have no computer.

I don't know what the real scam is as I didn't let it get that far.

Simple......they scare people into thinking their computer has a virus and they have security software that will instantly resolve your issue. All they need is your CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!! :rant: :cheeky:

I know people that have fallen for this! I asked them why they thought it was real and why they would expect a computer company to call them personally and what about the Indian (or similar) accent? :headscratch:
Believe it or not, I was told they thought it was real because the scammers KNEW their computer was running slow and could walk them through proof via slow access as a sign of a problem (which most Americans apparently do not perform regular maintenance on their computers so they usually are slow) and the best part???........they knew they had to be legitimate because all of their calls to service their computers (or phones) have always been handled by people with foreign voices! :doh: :whip: :rtfm:

Some even want to Remote Desktop with you to fix the problem ( access to all your data) telling them you don't have a windows computer normally does the trick :yes:

There are even reports on the Indian call centre operators getting abusive now if you don't want to hear their spiel. I still love Sienfelds's " give me your number and I will ring you back at an inconvenient time etc"

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134054#p134054:2bh9v4w7 said:
slabghost » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 pm[/url]":2bh9v4w7]
I don't have caller ID so no I didn't get the number.
I am too tight to pay for that feature on our land line ( home phone) , the mobile/ cell does it for free unless the caller hides their id. I used to not answer those ones unfortunately I now have too many friends and family that block their calling number :(

Mama got the call today. Turd said he was with Microsoft, and that our 'puter was infected. If we dint fix it, we wouldn't be able to get on-line. Guy name "Steve", with a heavy Indian(Mid east) accent. She hung up on him...and he calls back....thought they got disconnected, but she told him "NO...I hung up on you...and I'm hanging up on you again". She suspected it was a scam....but was worried just the same that it might be true. She's learnin.... :good:
I asked her to think...how the hell would microsoft even know we had a puter...and how would they get our home phone #? Silly scammers... :fiddle:

Latest posts