Amazon online backup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I need an offsite backup solution for all my stuff as well as the forum backups archives.

Has anyone tried the Amazon unlimited for $59 a year?
Very competitive price for unlimited and from a huge company, seems like a win win.

Double check unlimited, I don't know about Amazon but that word is used loosely these days, look for a * next to anything that says unlimited.

I've got over 400 gigs worth of forum backups on one external drive and that's after deleting a lot of old backups.
I don't feel comfortable deleting the older backups just yet but more so these backups are the only copy.

I may be out of line here, but these days big discs cost no money, I can buy a Western Digital 6 TB HDD for £183.00 Put them in a NAS and be able to take it with you in a disaster.

If you go the cloud route there are a lot of better solutions, IE a company called just cloud.
Another is ..
ZipCloud can be used interchangeably with the term unlimited. The company provides unlimited cloud storage at a cost of $4.95 on a monthly basis. The pricing is one of the most competitive ones in the storage industry. The storage space is not limited to the amount of folders or files that can be stored in them.

Why would you be out of line suggesting something :headscratch:
People are too sensitive these days sheesh.

Anyway, I went with Acronis true image 2015.
It does local and cloud backups. My brother has been using Acronis for a long time and been happy with it.

Always useful to have a satisfied customer. I personally don't do cloud backups, two reasons 1) when I backed up to the cloud just my Word Documents and my personal pictures it took a week of uploading. 2) restoring took almost as long. I didn't count the terabytes of films. Better to dump once a month to HDD, then do an incremental backup to the same disc. First time will always take a while but if it is local you can at least keep on working, if you clog up your internet speed with a backup you will notice the degradation. I have a 30Gb download line but it is only 1Mb upload. So all mine is now local backup.

I'm covering it both ways, local to a 5 terabyte, and to cloud.
Cloud I'm getting 2.5 to 3 mb upload.
The one drive with 1.1 tb of stuff started Friday night late, it's completed 25% so far so I'm looking at 4-5 days. With cable service 300 down 20 up I see no slowing with the kids on their laptops and phones or the 2 Apple tv's we have so that's a non issue.

In the last few weeks I had a corrupted windows 7 update that wiped out the boot sector.
Before reinstall I decided to get a faster and larger ssd which after installing most everything turned out to be defective.
Acronis has a very nice design to restore the boot drive and other drives.
I have tested boot restore several times from incrementals and works perfectly, restore took under an hour from cloud. Very nice. My usual reinstall takes many hours over several days so that alone sold me on it.

Latest posts