My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What all three of them !!! there were four but one decided that a life of crime and drugs wasn't for him, he moved away a long time ago, just 3 who have no worth in the world. I have to agree when does the caped avenger goes from solving to committing. My problem is that when the law fails the society it vowed to protect it leaves no other option, either be afraid and say it has nothing to do with me, or be like Clint in Grand Torino?

These people are just bullies it's time to bully back.

So I just bought me two new (old) items for the GL, 1) Another battery box, mine is bright red!! it was black but decided it didn't like the colour and went red, but then it lost all its will to hold a battery and now it is so depressed it committed suicide right before my eyes. So in memory of the first I got me a second, and I also bought another fake tank frame !! whatever its called, it looks real clean so I will be collecting it from Sheffield not far from where I live and that will be blasted along with the new battery box and all painted sorry powder coated at the same time to keep the same colours throughout.

I want to start on the top cover, I have had it here in the house for so long it has started to watch tv with me. So I need to make up a pattern for the leatherette, I am hoping by the weekend I will have the rear wheel off, the two rear shocks and the drive shaft too as, I intend to Powder that the same ivory colour. What need is for the wheels to be striped. Has anyone ever split a comstar front and rear wheel as I would like to get the spokes chromed, and the rim and the centre hubs black chrome powder coated. the front forks will be the same, I will get the fork shafts repaired and re-chromed and the bottom covers done again in the black chrome Powder coat. The tank and side panels will be in Cherry Black Pearl, that will set off the normal gold badging on the tank sides. And the clocks are white too. :lust:

If you do separate comstar wheels you'll need new rivets installed. An airframe mechanic probably has the right rivets. I hope you have friends at a local airport.

They do say not serviceable on the rivets but as Slab suggested maybe airframe repairers..

Hummm I have knocked in a few rivets in my time, but these must have been put in by machine and they would probably have to be put in hot so the shrink in on cooling. Okay so spiting the rim isn't really feasible on an lets say amateur build, a pro would have a rim made, but cost prohibits that. The rim could be chromed, I have comstars polished so the next step is chrome, I need to talk to my chromer, as to what could be protected from the chroming process or have it all chromed then protect the chrome when I powder coat. Need to think about this, as I am now in a dilemma as to what to do with the wheels. If I could find some at the right price maybe solid aluminium would be a good idea.
Thanks any way guys, as I don't know an airframe riveter in the neighbourhood that way may be a bit difficult, but how about some HT Nuts and bolts, like a car split rim?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147493#p147493:36x5zkm1 said:
Denver » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 am[/url]":36x5zkm1]
Would you have a dissimilar metal reaction??? Steel & alloy used on wheel???
+1
You can really polish them up well and detail them with plenty of effort.
You can then clear coat the finished product for better longevity. If I was a spit and polish sort of guy I wouldn't clear coat them as it is easier to get them regularly polished

So my decision on the wheels, I will get them off (you don't say, I can be sarcastic even to myself), then get them gently blasted, either soda or Vapour. I am a bit undecided as I want to get the engine casings powder coated in Black Chrome, with all the outer removable casings and the cylinder head covers just polished then Chromed, or even anodised!

So now I am looking to make her into a cruising bobber, if there is such a term. I have found via a post on NGW a picture of a GL1000 with standard bars with two hard pannier bags. They came of a Valkyrie, the fit like a glove. See bellow.....

So I like the look....

Valkyri panniers.jpg

And I found these on Ebay, now I am seriously leaning towards the Bat Wing fairing on the front supported by the panniers on the back like these below....

panniers.JPG

Now all this plastic is in Black Cherry Pearl, and about 5 coats of crystal top coat.

The frame, inner false tank, front heat shield, radiator cooling fan shroud and swinging arm will all be in the antique Ivory colour, with the new white meters across the tank, the new clocks for volts, Fuel and Oil temp that should be in here somewhere, I think she should look good. Right now the front fender is at the chromer being re-chromed. The rear will be stripped of chrome, and I am thinking that they should be in paint and not chromed. The fork bottoms will be polished and chromed, or done as Black Chrome. The Brake callipers will be also in the Ivory colour.

The tank top, is going to be done in leatherette, black and stitched in red cotton and in French seams. Summers Coming time to ride.

But I need to give her a name. :BigGrin:

I thought

Black Magic Woman !!
Memphis Bell

Come on guy's I know you have more imagination than I do...

Memphis Belle Was a bomber. Black magic woman will get shortened to BMW then morphed to beemer. How about Candy Girl?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148271#p148271:29y1rkgz said:
slabghost » Fri May 08, 2015 4:30 am[/url]":29y1rkgz]
Memphis Belle Was a bomber. Black magic woman will get shortened to BMW then morphed to beemer. How about Candy Girl?
Humm, reason I went for Memphis Bell, was two fold, 1) Japanese Bike? 2) One of the most Iconic aircraft of the second world war also as tough as old boots and 3) they are both old and beautiful.

That may go over the heads of some. As for Black Magic Woman, I was thinking of the song from Santana. Could be Shortened to Black Magic.

Candy Girl I like, Just thinking 4 square. Any way thanks for the replies.

Ian

While I really like the look of the bags. I'm sure it wouldn't take long before I was getting upset about lack of space.

Yeah me too but some space is better than NO space. any hows, I have been trying to remove the swinging arm on the bike, the nuts on each side are a pain, none of my sockets fit the nut, anyone got an idea of the nut size?

Someone will have the # of Honda tool to take lock ring off, make your own, on this site, if not one of the others, seen idiots use a punch & a hammer.

got me a 30mm socket, that's the right size, so done, just need to remove the circlips and it's off.

I Have put some pics of the state of the bike right now, in my palatial garage in the UK. in my Gallery, so will be putting more in there as I go. Oh and I have bought the Black bags, they are smaller in width but will suit me better. Currently they are Black and will be changed to Black/Cherry pearl, later.

Ian

Latest posts