77 GL 1000 project status

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Well, I figure I'm at about 85% to 90% to my goal of getting the old girl up to snuff as a good rider. Still a few things to do, parts to come in, and oh of course the surprises that crop up.
Here is a picture of where I am now.

Lot of man hours involved but it's a labor of love. Other than the engine internals there is probably not one part that hasn't been refurbed, repaired or replaced.
I really didn't realize just how extensive it is to resurrect an old stored neglected wing.
I do enjoy the challenge of it, only slightly less than riding itself.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160552#p160552:2zfpvyn5 said:
PurpleGL1200I » 33 minutes ago[/url]":2zfpvyn5]
Don't forget the Moly 60 on the u-joint.

Yeah, I got your P.M.

Thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160537#p160537:ece9evrx said:
zman » Today, 11:23 am[/url]":ece9evrx]
Real nice bike, congrats.

Thank you,
It's no museum piece but that was never my goal. I just wanted a nice looking, good safe rider.

Finished installing the new ignition, sparkplug wires, and coil install.
Got static timing set.

Drum roll please........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Cymbals crash...........

The bike is running great. For the first time in over 10 years she runs, and on all 4 cylinders :cool: ,

Starts almost immediately with no choke, idles smoothly, and revs instantly and willingly.

Suhweet

Thanks guys, that was a hurdle I was glad to get done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Went on little shakedown run to evaluate the ole 77 today before the rains came in again. I did ride it before briefly for a few minutes slowly around the neighborhood but that doesn't tell the story well. This time I rode over 50 miles and into Sam Houston national forest to do some real world testing of the machine and hopefully get the stuck clutch plates to break loose,

I was quickly reminded that riding a naked unfairinged bike feels very exposed, and that hitting big grasshoppers when wearing an open faced helmet at cruising speed SMART. (ouch) :) Next time out my FF Shoei.

A few surprises: This old bike is surprisingly (dare I say) quick and nible for a 70's vintage Honda. I didn't lean on her hard this first test ride but I did jump up to 75 mph a few times but average around 60 most of the way winding thru the woods.

The brakes work well, better than I thought they would for single piston calipers. I did replace or rebuild most everything but still, not too shabby.

Afterwards, no puking of coolant it ran cool, no leaks glitches anywhere.

The newly rebuilt (all balls) steering head and forks are doing the right things and handles well with no more notchiness.

All in all I am pleased with the performance.

Now to take care of that clutch issues and some other minor tweeks and she should be golden.

Latest posts