81 GL1100 Restore Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xbones69

Reaction score
I ended up buying an 81 1100, so far found the following to be repaired. Any more suggestions as what or where to look for repair would be greatly appreciated.
Just a little history of the bike, from the owner that I purchased from,
Was told it belonged to his mother, she parked it when it would not charge, told by the shop mechanic to her. He thought it would be fun to restore and started taking it apart.

Looks like most all the parts are here, the headlight seems funny to me, like it had a fairing on it at one time.

I want to go back naked with the bike if I can locate the parts needed for the front end.

1. Gas tank rusted inside.
2. Carbs need cleaning and rebuilding. working on now, just got to get parts and tear into.
3. Of course a new batt.
4. Brakes to be rebuild from handle to pads, foot pedal to pads.
5. Tires
6. Starter Rebuilt, working on that now.
7. Complete fluid change front to rear.
8. Exhuast to replace. Baffles in bad shape, headers are in great shape though. LOL
9. Stator Testing.
10. Timing Belts to be replaced. Along with a good tune up.

Is there anything that I am missing on checking out, before the first ride after the work has been done?

Thanks
Jeff :moped:

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0171.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0171.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 626
thats quite the full plate ...i think you have it covered....id break into the carbs for a look to see whats up before ordering parts ....your plan looks good ....id stick with the motor stuff first ...get it running at lesat good enough to tell its sound ....the ignition wires coils plug ends are usealy weak and can cause fits ...id take the timing belt covers off to check the timing ...lots of oldwings are one tooth off on the right side .....personaly i stick right there with motor stuff on unknown bikes till i know something ...if all good i continue to other stuff

joedrum":3ahw95uu said:
thats quite the full plate ...i think you have it covered....id break into the carbs for a look to see whats up before ordering parts ....your plan looks good ....id stick with the motor stuff first ...get it running at lesat good enough to tell its sound ....the ignition wires coils plug ends are usealy weak and can cause fits ...id take the timing belt covers off to check the timing ...lots of oldwings are one tooth off on the right side .....personaly i stick right there with motor stuff on unknown bikes till i know something ...if all good i continue to other stuff

He said it had been sitting for a year or more. Really looks like someone cut the gas off and ran the gas out of it before letting it set.

toytender01":2zzzlchb said:
HMMMMMMM. Bike belonged to a little old lady , that only road to church on Sundays :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Ya sure and my grandfather was a judge (O wait he was) :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :clapping:

LoL. I know, story kinda cheesy.

Jeff

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Some results of checking the bike out.

Starter = Shot completely, Gotta buy one.

Stator = Has tested good, no short between the fields or to ground.

Ignition System = Ignition modules melted out completely. Need two, they are hard to find.

Carbs = off the bike and soaking. Waiting on parts.

Slow road ahead, but, I think its gonna be worth it, when finished.

Thanks to all who have given information, This is a really good group of people.

Book should have test procedures for those modules. They may in fact be good. If they test good refill the melted out stuff with epoxy and try them.

Mr. Slabghost,
Thanks for the tip. Please tell me which book, the clymer manual maybe.

Thanks. I hope they are good. Only found them on ebay and one other site, eebay was 129 for onea that are melted out. LoL. Other site which i have to find again and post a link had both of the new for 79.

I done some tracing of part numbers from OEM Honda to a aftermarket number and found that a CB750F/F2/KZ uses the same modules as the GL1100. Part number is PE-C-MH900-A. Follow the link and search by model and the part should appear.

https://www.procomeng.com/index.php?view=searchbymodel

Price on site is $79 bucks. I have emailed them about some specs for it, to compare to the original modules.

dan filipi":3rbh3q92 said:
Also check if that's price for a pair or each?

If a pair I'm going to order them for myself.

It says a set. Set is two if I read right.

I love to hear and see the results of hard work and dedication. The bike looks great nice job do you have any additional pictures?

Hi All,

Sorry for long delay in posting.

Partial teardown so far, carbs removed, cleaned and built, some polishing of the intakes, timing covers polished all ready to be reinstalled.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342645834961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342645834961.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87
After cleaning and assembly, but before polishing of the vaccum caps.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342646069458.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342646069458.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 85
Tear down rearend for tank cleaning and new tire on rear.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342646191256.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342646191256.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 298

Latest posts