1982 Naked Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TossingLead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 82 Naked Interstate. Finely got time to look at it and found that it was parked because of a blow right bank head gasket. The cylinders don't look great. I will try to clean them up, but it looks like I will have to split the case.
F62918A7-6119-444A-9EB6-A892F33A9B35-4330-000008E5B9987CEF_zpsc3c6ce7b.jpg

52072599-34D1-48AB-9985-C2EFA74D6B48-2988-000004824A1A3AF3_zps1903e61c.jpg

Some may flinch at that but it doesn't look bad yet. Try cleaning it up, maybe lean it to that side and a blast the barrels with a power washer to get the fine particles out then some WD or PB blaster and spray it down,let it soak, Short of ring breakage or gouges you might be OK. I have seen worse get cleaned up and run well again.
I had to come back and add more, If it cleans up OK and if you can re use the old head gasket just for sealing the barrel, even use a gasket compound with the old gasket to test compression, or maybe someone around here has a gasket that has been compressed you can borrow/use.
Just throw the head and belts back on, time the cam/cams , If the other head is off you dont need to install it,just need to time the one side your checking, If the other side is still on check both sides timing..
Thinking that's right, maybe someone here can double check me on it.

Be careful blasting if you want to try and reuse the rings, unless you had to really brake a rusted ring to bore you may be able to salvage this on a budget.

Been at it with WD40 and 400 grit, it is cleaning up good. Both heads are off. Have not turned the motor over yet just cleaning what I can. As soon as I feel I can turn the crank I will get each piston back and clean some more. I have a hone but I don't think I will get it in the cylinders deep enough to use. Have not looked on how to turn the crank yet, If some one can tell me how it would help. The head gasket on the blown side is shot I can use the left gasket for the compression test before getting new ones if thing clean up good.

You can rotate the engine by using the stator bolt. On the left rear of the engine, remove the hex headed screw in plug, inside will be the stator bolt, I forget what size it is, and with a socket and rachet turn the engine over ONLY in CLOCKWISE direction. There is a possiblility of loosening this bolt if you turn it counter-clockwise. The engine can also be turned over by doing the same on the center belt pulley which is the crank bolt on the front of the engine behind the timing covers. Remember, only turn bolts clockwise.

It would be better to remove the radiator and the front cover and use the crank bolt so that you can use a rocking motion and when you cum up a little in the bore rotate back down the bore and wipe all the rubbish out. That way you limit the amount of junk getting jammed into the rings.

I guess it's time for the radiator to come off, I just did not want to get it in to many pieces in case I back out and just unload it. but the cylinders are cleaning up good and the radiator would have came off eventually.

Something else to consider, If the cylinders clean up well and look good you could save some time by just installing new head gasket and finish it. good looking cylinders usually will have good compression, It`s a gamble but if it all looks good chances are in your favor. Those pistons and barrels look pretty nice under the mess, least to me they do.

yes its a gamble but its really a no option gamble ...with the lower end parts situation .......id carfully clean those cylinders up without digging below the metal in cylinders ...to me this the most important part ...this is the action zone ....

zman post is spot on ...many oldwings have been brought back just as he said ...its my vote too

The cylinders are cleaning up real good. I will reuse the left head gasket and check compression. I think it is going to work out. I had no idea why they parked the bike so the blown head gasket was probably it. That may mean no other major problems. Will take more pictures later.

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't know about any of the others but I have never had success reusing head gaskets :doh:

It probably goes without saying but do a water test on the valves to be sure they aren't sticking and have a seal. Sitting in water maybe in the open position may have buggered them a little and may need some cleaning .

Latest posts