Spring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I really need some help here. If you look at a picture of a 1980 gl 1100 swing-arm and final drive laid out so all the parts show and are named, there is a spring that goes into the drive shaft spline joint after the circlip and before the dust seal and then attaching to the final drive. I have looked through 3 different manuals and all it is ever called is "SPRING". Well I seem to have lost the one for my bike and I cannot seem to find it on line. Does anyone at all know where I can get one of these springs or even a part number for it? Right now it is the only thing keeping me from completing the rear suspension and putting my back tire on. This was a complete tear down and rebuild that has been a 4 yr journey now and I would really love to ride this bike this season. It is snowing here right now but they say we should be in the sixties in two or three weeks. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance-Ryan.

Here is the parts fiche from Western Honda. What Spring?

Capture.PNG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144317#p144317:20hs7wq4 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 am[/url]":20hs7wq4]
I think he means part #8 on the fiche. The spring that wraps the dust boot on?

That's what I was thinking, but...

there is a spring that goes into the drive shaft spline joint after the circlip and before the dust seal and then attaching to the final drive.

If that is the spring in question then a skinny zip/cable tie would do the job of keeping the boot sealed :yes:

I swear that in the Clymer manual I have that covers CB900 -1100 fours, 80-83 on page 329 that there is a spring that goes in that spline shaft AFTER the circlip there a a sizeable spring in the picture. But on the other hand I just took apart a rear end of a 81 1200 and there was no spring in that either. The Clymer manual picture looks exactly the same as the picture that Brian posted except that in between part 26( circlip) and part 21 (seal, there is a big looking spring. Is it because I have the wrong manual? If not I am completely lost. Any help would be appreciated

I was thinking I had the wrong manual but so far the Clymer has not been wrongn on any other reference I needed. It doesn't have everything I would like but then this would be too easy and I wouldn't appreciate it as much when I fire it up, Anyway, Brian if you happen to read this, the second sentence you wrote is axactly the spring I am talking about. It goes into the drive shaft spline joint after the circlip and before the dust seal and attaching to the final drive. BUT-the manual I have says on the cover (which I just recently noticed), that it covers the CB900-CB1100 fours from 80-83. Is this the wrong manual??? Should I have a manual that says GL instead of CB? or is that just a Canadian-American thing? So far this manual is the exact same for everything I have lookied for info for EXCEPT this darn spring! I have every other part and am not talking about the ring for the boot or anything else. Brian said exactly the spring I am talking about. In the pic on pg#329 it shows that it goes into the sline shaft joint after the circlip, before the dust seal and before attching to the final drive. I really need you guys on this one because this "spring " is stopping me from moving any further on my bike and the temps here are going to be in the 50's during the day in another couple weeks here.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144599#p144599:30uaors4 said:
Ryan » 9 minutes ago[/url]":30uaors4]
I was thinking I had the wrong manual but so far the Clymer has not been wrongn on any other reference I needed. It doesn't have everything I would like but then this would be too easy and I wouldn't appreciate it as much when I fire it up, Anyway, Brian if you happen to read this, the second sentence you wrote is axactly the spring I am talking about. It goes into the drive shaft spline joint after the circlip and before the dust seal and attaching to the final drive. BUT-the manual I have says on the cover (which I just recently noticed), that it covers the CB900-CB1100 fours from 80-83. Is this the wrong manual??? Should I have a manual that says GL instead of CB? or is that just a Canadian-American thing? So far this manual is the exact same for everything I have lookied for info for EXCEPT this darn spring! I have every other part and am not talking about the ring for the boot or anything else. Brian said exactly the spring I am talking about. In the pic on pg#329 it shows that it goes into the sline shaft joint after the circlip, before the dust seal and before attching to the final drive. I really need you guys on this one because this "spring " is stopping me from moving any further on my bike and the temps here are going to be in the 50's during the day in another couple weeks here.
Well there is no spring there on a GL 1100.

Well I hope that this is the end of this quandry, I just spent the last hour looking through Roady's tutorial and in three different service and parts catalogues there simply is no spring for the drive shaft spline joint for the GL1100. Thanks for all the help guys, I feel a lot better moving ahead having you all say NO SPRING. Cheers to all-Ryan.