1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes lets make this clear ... as sgq700 has asked .....this is probably one of the easiest plug and play mods one can do with the 1100 series of oldwings ......only thing that might mismatch is lower rear shock eyelet hook up ..sitting here this morning i cant remember if there is ...but to me this is minor....

results are ..you get overall taller gearing ....for ones with with 80-81 this might be really great mod ..to lower rpm on these lowest geared oldwings made....82 1100 get even taller in 5th gear....the 83 1100 come out geared just like 84 1200 are ....

me personally i have a 82 1100 bike with 84 1200 motor put in it and the 1200 swing arm set and wheel im working on is going in this bike .....only draw back to this is 1200 wheel somewhat lack of stout engineering ...but many are just fine ...and a taller first gear than any stock oldwing ...this is not all that bad to me...and was able to deal with that easy ...it dose bring more importance to getting oldwing to run smooth down low ...to me this a great mod for one to consider wanting better road gear bike :thanks:

That is what i am after Joe, mine is a 80 bike with a 83 engine that runs great down low with the carter/weber and i want to get rid of a little more rpm at 75 to 80 mph and the tire selection will be Much better! Later i may copy your 1500 wheel and drive unit conversion if that works out for you. Again, Thank You Man !!

You could cut a few more rpm by using the 1500 rim on the 1200 final drive or the 1500 rim and final drive on a 1200 swing arm. Ratios are the same, but 1500 was a 16" rim vs 1200's 15" rim. You probably know this, but tossing it out there.

now theres a good ? ...first not rather it will work ..but when is joedrum going to get a tire to try ..big hurdle to me at moment ... ive been inform that walmart has tire new very cheap for all but me lol...ive also heard that a run on flat tire is available too even more distant from me ...but it seems this would be a great tire as side walls are anything but weak ...making for rather nice safety thing in principal ...

Very interested in C T on 1500 wheel as they could easily be used on all my bikes. :yes: If a C T really handled better than a bike tire, & delivered the miles promised would be a great mod. :thank_you:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142602#p142602:1rmlmdjx said:
ekvh » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:41 am[/url]":1rmlmdjx]
You could cut a few more rpm by using the 1500 rim on the 1200 final drive or the 1500 rim and final drive on a 1200 swing arm. Ratios are the same, but 1500 was a 16" rim vs 1200's 15" rim. You probably know this, but tossing it out there.

Okay. That was my original plan. To use the 1500 wheel on the 1200 drive. I bought the wheel and sent it to Joe to try and fit it up. It will not fit in the 1200 drive . Which is why the 1500 drive was fitted to the 1200 swingarm.

It probably clearly says that, but I have forgotten that it wouldn't work, sorry. So to get the 1500 to work, you need the 1500 final drive, rim, and brake bracket to go with the 1200 swingarm? Even if you're not after the lower rpm, this is a good mod as parts will eventually get scarce for the early years. The 1500's had a long production run.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142621#p142621:3nvx86fh said:
ekvh » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:42 am[/url]":3nvx86fh]
It probably clearly says that, but I have forgotten that it wouldn't work, sorry. So to get the 1500 to work, you need the 1500 final drive, rim, and brake bracket to go with the 1200 swingarm? Even if you're not after the lower rpm, this is a good mod as parts will eventually get scarce for the early years. The 1500's had a long production run.
Correct. :builder:

the installation of this 1500 wheel and final mod in 1200 swing arm..... can be looked at in the ..couple 1200 mutts getting doghouse resurrection - enter jyd...thread :thanks:

Just a shout out to Joe!! Thank You for the info and running recon on this stuff! I did the 1200 swing arm,wheel and rear brake today on my beater and just love it!!. much more 80mph friendly. Again Joe "Thank You" !!

i don't have a tach, my engine is a 83A in my 80 bike and i didn't change the fuel pump adapter to use a tach cable because i didn't want to see the rpm at 75/80 mph but it is a drop of engine noise at 80 for sure! sounds like it used to at 70. i ride the old girl 150 miles a day so i am really in tune with the sound of the bike, now i am happy with it.... gearing wise that is! front end is next! :thanks: My Friend

Big difference in R P M's between 1100's & 1200's. 1100's 4,000=60mph- 1200's 4,000=80mph, more or less. 83's were close if not the same, as many changes from earlier 1100's toward 1200's, but like 84's single years on many parts. :head bang:

83 1100 just like 84 1200 ..and its the tallest geared 1200 ...so he got some good road gear ...there huge difference from 1100 to 1200 final drive even with 15" wheel on 1200 final ...ive had the 1200 gearing and now i am on 1100 gearing on hooch ...and the difference is.... it goes from road bike to street fighter ....i think hooch will stay right here in gearing ...it is a rocketwing ...the load feels like the drive line is up to the job ...and able to play good with it ...

if 700 is doing 150 mile days he is loving the gearing ...i would want it too :BigGrin:

85-87 were 1.708x0.973x 0.8 for an out the back of motor overdrive of 1.33 turns per crank turn. The 83-84 were 1.708x 0.897x 0.829= 1.27 turns per rev of the crank. Very close. The 83-84 had a lower secondary reduction, but the fifth gear was higher. It would be lower geared

well it seems i will be turning the 1200 wheel soon on the inside of rim flats so that a car tyre can be beaded easier and not be dangerous .... this is for sure the cheapest and most availible darkside move one could make on a pldwing ... they will be making vw bug tyres for quite some time id say and the tires for them are cheaper to buy than other car tyre choices for other wing set ups .... seems the 165-80-15 is the size i am going for ..shouldnt be to hard to get the rim turned down some to work ..ill do it in some kind of caveman way LOL :builder:

I am looking forward to this one Joe! the way i ride, a car tire will be perfect! let us know about how much you need to grind off the wheel. Ans, Thank's again for all your info and help :salute: