1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the rest of this thread is under the title darkside this thread has wander way off it title LOL i am presently dealing with a battery issue and will soon road test hooch and the new rubber

Well done Joe,...read the whole post like the mod :music: !! I'd like to go over a few things to be sure I understand this correctly :nea: . and if I understand, this as using a 84 1200 swing arm and pumpkin, using the 84 drive shaft. Modification to the tire and brake position. Is this a plug and play but with the mods? I'm leaning doing this mod because of triking my bike. Is there much of a difference in length from the 83 wheel. Thanks, Bob

ok bob its been awhile and my memory sucks and have no bike to look at here in fla except hooch ...on a 1000 there are some hard mods to do ..mostly to pivot pins area and drive shaft length with 1200 swing arm.....with 1500 swingarm there is swing arm modding to fit back of frame to fit any 4 cylinder wing .....length increase on 1000 is 3" with 1500 i think its 6"....on 1100s this is what i consider plug and play but there are mods to do in shocks with about 1 1/2".... length increase i think there many combination of final drive and wheel set up ..kind of over all view if you have plan in mind ....i could answer better im sure to your bike needs :popcorn:

Thanks Joe,.I should have said my bike is an81 1100 wanting or was thinking of doing the 83 swing arm swap but if I can do the 84 1200 swing arm, personally I think the best would be the 1200 switch. Then I could do the car tire,... since I will not be leaning in the curves anymore, the extra tread in the middle would wear better. Should I use the 1200 pumpkin and all :hi: Bob

As I understand it you'll need the final from an 84 1200 to attach the drive shaft and the entire 1200 rear with pumpkin,brakes, and wheel. Joe can look at Hooch and verify.

you have the best set up ..ok any complete 1200 system yr will work ...you can also go with 1500 final drive set up also ... there info on that too here ....ive done them both ....hooch a lot different because its a 1000 i doutb theres another out there might be .....you looking good bob for this tranplant having 1100 bike options are huge ....

The more thought about using the 1200 transplant would make it to long. ..6 inches would not work with my trike training wheels. So I'm thinking about using an 82 or 83 swing arm ,...I believe they are both the same swing arm??? Correct me if they are not. Now can I use a 140 or maybe a 150 tire ? :hi:

Thanks Joe, I found it cheaper for the 1100 82,83 swing arm exchange. I'm just hoping to run a tire size
150, .....will I have to do some tinkering on the swing arm if I do?