Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179330#p179330:1nm3mwqo said:
dan filipi » August 24th, 2016, 6:37 pm[/url]":1nm3mwqo]
No offense intended Mike but some of the weld looks crappy like mine. Are you sure they are strong?

Ditto those welds look skechie fer shore Bro. Ditto I mean no offense neither. My Son's been a certified welder fabricator for years , he puts pins on tha inside of butt joint's for extra strength.

Checked out the stator, tested good, soldered three new wires on to replace inline crimp connectors PO had used.
IMG_1955.JPG
I'll use heat shrink and cable sheath to finish that up when I put the engine in. Installed the new bearnings and races in the steering stem.
IMG_2010.JPG
Did the bodywork and laid down the two base colors for job so they can cure while I'm doing other work.
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181598#p181598:xcz0nx6j said:
D-50Dave » Yesterday, 7:27 am[/url]":xcz0nx6j]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181569#p181569:xcz0nx6j said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 6:29 pm[/url]":xcz0nx6j]
The color combo looks awesome!
+1 :good:
I guess i'm +3? :smilie_happy:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as a roller and then a rider. Some places have wording on the books that won't allow welding on the "neck." This probably skirts that. Although "neck" is a relative term.

By certified welders passing inspections. It's no advice when it comes to getting an inspection. I agree, it was welded, and as mention above some of the Honda factory welds are pretty sketchy too. I guess that's how I feel better about my pigeon poop welds.

well welding is not all that tuff really ....you become very good at it farming ...when your welds are expected to stay together while dragging stuff through the ground and ripping the ground apart with super torque monster tractors ...great teacher of welding ...if its not good you dont get far....actually to me most certified welders do terrible welds on something that has to take max stress ... they useally weld to long and make metal to brittle around there welds and it breaks ...this is not a welding thread.... but smaller welds and stopping once everything is red hot ..stop and beat it in with a point hammer is like hammer forging something ..then go again is a super way to weld .....me and my son welded a semi mac truck back together after it broke at speed and twisted other side up like a banana....did this right there where it happen ... that was yrs ago and the truck rolls strait and is still going ...that was easy compared to farm equipment and not breaking huge box steel ....straitening 8" 1/2" box steel is really something to take on ...always test the welds with more torque than you think it needs ...is smart thing to do to keep things from breaking later ...i kind of do this as i go while welding ....

oh by the way eric ..kudos on bike of the month at ngw

First, I'm cool with the comments about the welds on the neck because we did not cut the tubes at the neck. The tubes were cut about three inches down towards the radiator and the upper tubes were cut about four inches towards rear of bike right about where the upriright brace is at the rear of the coils. There was a small amount of welding on the upper tubes at the neck to fill in a gap left by the factory, a picture of which I will show shortly that also appears on an 85 model I have. I know that everyone is just concerned for my safety as well as I appreciate that and take constructive criticism in that manner as long as it's given that way. You can't have any better friends than those looking out for you and not afraid to bring you back on the right path the right way. I thank you all for that and I assure the welds are solid. Here are pictures of the same area of two 85 models I have that are completely different looking welds showing you never know what you will get from Honda. The first picture shows the gap my welder filled in on the neck because the 84 looked similar to that. I can't wait to get it together and ride it. Eric have you kicked you front end out yet ?
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG

I kicked two out, one I'm riding, is done the way HOTT did it at NGW. It is hanging together pretty well and I've had it two-up up to 125 without a wobble. The second is an 1100 and I did it like you did. Unfortunately it's hanging on the garage wall as art right now. This one is kicked out quite a ways.
WP_002135 (3).jpg

IMG_0710.JPG

Oh yeah, like those, is that the 82 or 83 Saber front forks on that 1100 that have the offset axle mount, mounted on top of the fork, I think they only did that one year. Im looking for a set of those for mine, they are somewhat longer than the original 1200's aren't they ?

They are from a 85 Magna, and are long. I shortened these internally by two inches. I can do the chopper look with them, but I like them with almost 5" up in the trees. The offset axle helps with "trail" and keeps it in the acceptable range. I have no trouble turning around on narrow roads and it's never tried to flop on me. The 1100 frame I never got to roll around. It is quite a bit more. I think the Sabre forks are the better choice because they are shorter. (I think)

Mine is 95" long front tire to back tire and 68.5" axle-to-axle. I can't remember my trail, but I want to say 4.5".

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181719#p181719:1hou1tl9 said:
joedrum » October 3rd, 2016, 4:13 pm[/url]":1hou1tl9]
well welding is not all that tuff really ....you become very good at it farming ...when your welds are expected to stay together while dragging stuff through the ground and ripping the ground apart with super torque monster tractors ...great teacher of welding ...if its not good you dont get far....actually to me most certified welders do terrible welds on something that has to take max stress ... they useally weld to long and make metal to brittle around there welds and it breaks ...this is not a welding thread.... but smaller welds and stopping once everything is red hot ..stop and beat it in with a point hammer is like hammer forging something ..then go again is a super way to weld .....me and my son welded a semi mac truck back together after it broke at speed and twisted other side up like a banana....did this right there where it happen ... that was yrs ago and the truck rolls strait and is still going ...that was easy compared to farm equipment and not breaking huge box steel ....straitening 8" 1/2" box steel is really something to take on ...always test the welds with more torque than you think it needs ...is smart thing to do to keep things from breaking later ...i kind of do this as i go while welding ....

oh by the way eric ..kudos on bike of the month at ngw

I agree with some of that Bro as I developed my "mad skills" :rant: in a similar fashion. But not everybody is as lucky as me and you . For them that wernt. PLEASE! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS WHATSOEVER ABOUT YOUR WELDING ABILITIES, GET HELP FROM SOMEONE EVEN IF IT MEANS TAKING A COURSE.
Nuff Said! :BigGrin:

Painted the side covers so they can cure.
IMG_2039.JPG
. Forks on along with some new handle bars, may have to move them back some. 6 degrees kicked the front out about right I think.
IMG_2042.JPG

Latest posts