'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it all came apart pretty easily. Getting clutch removed went pretty well. The only trouble is that the scavenger pump was not plugged, everything looking very clean. Will check clearances on pump but can't see an reason why it wouldn't pump.

Clutch cavity without clutch
Pump apart

Still it seems like I'm building up oil around the clutch...thinking... :headscratch:

Scavenger and main pump all in excellent condition and working like they're supposed to. I checked all clearances on scavenger and it is good. Put pump together, held the bottom end in some oil and drove it slowly with drill...oil pouring out the top end.

BTW the hole in the back of the crankcase where the pump grommet is just dumps back into the crankcase. I stuck a wire in the big hole where the pump body goes and the end of it appeared in the grommet hole. If it's supposed to be feeding the primary chain oiler them I must have messed up assembling the cases.

So I still don't know how oil built up in the clutch housing. Maybe that's not even the trouble. I think my next move is the take apart the clutch pack and inspect discs.

Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated.

PS My 1100 engine (that never gave me any trouble) is sitting under my workbench laughing at me.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188602#p188602:t4eb7qvo said:
dan filipi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm[/url]":t4eb7qvo]
I'm wondering if maybe the scavenger pump sprays oil on top or side of the primary chain?
Well it might. I was thinking of that chain oiler spout that goes in the crankcase.

So I did the gasket mod on the old gasket. I have a new gasket but it broke :head bang: : once you cut that piece out the gasket becomes very fragile because there is a very narrow part that can easily break.

Took the clutch pack apart. All plates and the whole assembly is in excellent shape. :good:

From the looks of this stuff, and what I saw in the bottom end, this is a low mileage engine. But I need to get it working right. :beg:

So scavenger pump good, clutch good. I still think the hard shifting is do to oil in clutch because shifting got worse as ride progressed and the large volume of oil in the rear cover when I took it of. So maybe it was a problem with the gasket at the pump inlet.

I was hoping to find an obvious problem so when I put the engine back in I know it will be fixed but I don't have that. I will give this engine one more chance and if it doesn't please me I will put Mr 1100 back in.

So I got the engine all put back together and in the bike :builder: . What made it easier and faster the time was that I disconnected the intake manifold and electric fuel pump and suspended them over the engine while I took the engine out. So getting it all hooked up again only took about 15 minutes.

Just got back from a half hour test ride :moped: . Shifting and neutral finding vastly improved :good: . Never missed a shift or false neutral. It is a stripped down naked GW right now and it really encourages spirited riding. With the 1200 it has some serious pull and it seems to like being revved out especially when the secondary opens on the Weber. :music: :Egyptian:

Don't have a tach now that I'm running the E fuel pump. Need o get that working.

So as far as the shifting troubles go, I am sure that it was due to oil in the clutch housing. I know that the scavenger pump works and should be able to drain the clutch cavity if nothing is blocking the inlet.

So the pump inlet must have been blocked. Maybe when I cracked the big rear cover open and all that oil drained out, whatever was blocking washed out so I didn't find any blockage when I examined the pump. Or maybe it was being blocked by that bit of pump gasket that goes across the inlet. I trimmed that bit away as per Dan's suggestion.

Never would have tracked this down without CGW. You look in the "Trouble-shooting" in the Honda service manual under "clutch drags" and there is no mention of scavenger pump or too much oil...useless IMO.

CGW rocks

As a side note: I bought a '79 Suzuki GS850 in 2006. When I got it running for the first time I found I could not shift into first gear without a huge clunk and stalling it. The only way I could get the clutch unstuck enough for a test ride was to start it on the centre stand, in gear, with the clutch pulled in. Than rev it up and step on the rear brake.

Found out on the GS Resources Forum that year had way too much oil flow to clutch. They had a simple mod to restrict flow and the clutch worked fine after.

What amazes me is the all the owner of that bike from '79 to me somehow put up with that clutch :shock:

Latest posts