Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The direction of the build has been decided. This will be a 1984 Interstate disguised as a mostly 77-78 GL1000. Joedrum, it's all his fault. :smilie_happy: He went and stuffed a 1200 in a 77 so I says to myself, self, you need to wrap a 77 around a 1200 so that's what's gonna happen. :builder: :builder:

Actually the project got started a few months ago and I've been buying up parts. I got a Vetter 4 with sound box, front fender, rear fender, tail light and signal lights. I'm still trying to locate a tank cover locally. Most everything will have to be moded to fit the 84 but I was surprised when I stuck the Vetter 4 mount up to the 84 frame and it fit. :heat: I'm also going to try to mod an 85 Interstate instrument cluster onto or into the Vetter. Should be interesting but it's number three on the list of projects going on right now.

hmmmm this sounds great ...a lot of stuff will be learned here on dieting the 1200 into a gl1000 look alike ...seems with the vetter the 1200 instruments would fit the build perfect in concept ....the 1200 wheels will lead to bigger tires for the moded 1000 look alike and be really good looking .... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :builder: :mrgreen:

Not much to report yet joe, been busy putting carbs back together for the 86 :builder: , should finish that up tonite. I'm really anxious to get started on it though as I think it will be a real looker, but the 86 is my main ride and she has to be ready to do some high stepping when the weather gets right, so I'm trying to get her finished. Here are some of the parts I've picked up for the project.
IMG01640-20130131-1434.jpg
IMG01643-20130131-1435.jpg
IMG01647-20130131-1500.jpg
IMG01648-20130131-1519.jpg

Went and picked up the 77 rear fender and lights, mufflers last nite and today took everything apart, cleaned them all up, checked all the lights and polished them, they are ready for installation. Removed the rear fender and inner fender of the 84 and trial fitted the 77 to it and it will work perfect. Small trim off the front of the fender to make it match the inner fender is all that is needed. Don't know yet if the 1000 mufflers will work on the 1200 yet as I haven't measured them and they may provide to much back pressure.
IMG01749-20130223-0801.jpg
IMG01754-20130223-1415.jpg

Just depends on whether they would have to be cut up or not to make them work. I don't think I would do that because they are like new, solid and no holes. I would probably just sell them to someone building a 77 up if I can't use them. I just thought it would make the conversion more convincing with them. Does anyone know if the 1000 valve covers will fit the 1200.

yep thats rougher than the muffler fit...but thats no big deal tho ...with the way the focas of the build is a 1200 made to look 1000 ...1200 heads are basicly required for 1200 carbs to work ....1200 carbs seem to be rather good and one of my 1200 builds is stock motor setup to have the hydro heads and 1200 carbs in a 1100 bike ...

reality is the 1200 oldwing motor is the best one made with improved oil system ...bigger chains....tougher crank ...bigger stator ....better gearing ....better clutch ...now that ive really got some time in on working with these bikes it baffles me that people who have money supercharge or nitrous or turbo the weakest oldwing motors ....and to listen to someone explain the nonsense that a smaller crank skinnier chained no tension provided change slappinng 75-77 motor can turn higher rpm than a 1200 cause its made weaker and the 1200 with all its advantages will blow up ....sheeesh its amazing sometimes what people come up with ....to me the 1200 motor is the hidden goldwing diamond ...it just dosent have weak points in the basic package anywhere ....honda nade some big mistakes on support parts for the motor in ignition and all some really stupid ...but the heart of the motor is probably the best hard mount motorcycle motor ever made ....i want three of them all special order and done by me ....just like mike got one going ...he made a wise decission that most dont ...he starting with a 1200 ...theres probably quite a few more that will be springing up after the success of some of these builds gets around

I was thinking that the limit imposed by Honda was the valve train. I am pretty comfortable that the 1200 with 1000 or 1100 heads will be able take the same redline as the earlier versions. Longer stroke might factor a little and ask for lower rpm. I like the 1200 carbs. I was wondering if they couldn't be used with earlier version elbows to allow a little better breathing at upper rpm. Throats on the 1200's are the same as 1100s, I think, but the 1200 has much smaller elbows.

the head ports are smaller too eric ....but the elbow wont hook up either ...1200 carbs angle down more ....it can hook up with 1200 elbow though but as you said there smaller in size ....im pretty well convinced that the 1200 is the best oldwing heart by far

Thanks west, I am concentrating on getting the 86 back together cause this 70 degree weather with sunshine is killing me, I'm wanting to take a ride, somewhere, anywhere. I will be working on this project for the next couple of days while waiting on some parts to get here for the 86.

The last year of production of 1100's was 83.The last year for the standard faux tank was the 84 1200 model. There are no 85 and up standard tank covers. 85 and up have flares on each side to integrate with the fairing. By the way, Howdy and welcome to CGW.