To Add or not to add a 4.8 gallon gas tank keeping oem 5.02 tank for a total of 9.82 gallons of gas.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if this will work or not.

I wanted some extra range, on my 1983' GL11.

Well not even so much the longer range, as i like to take breaks every hour or two, but just to Not have to stop, when out exploring to find a gas station.

I have a 96' Yamaha Royal Star gas tank, and tried it on my 83' GL1100, trying to get an idea if I want to add it to my 83' GL1100.

In doing this I would be adding 4.8 gallons of gas to the stock OEM 5.02 gallon gas tank.

For a total of 9.82 gallons of gas.

Also trying to decide if i like the looks, or not.

Here are a few pictures.

I had to relocate the coolant over flow bottle.

Here is a pic or two.

Single seat anyone.

I will post a picture of single seat maybe a removeable trunk too just for the Halibut, them are tasty fishes.

Or how about a Batwing fairing.

I am not sure i like the look or not.

But i like the 9.82 gallons of gas.

If i am just riding short range i dont have to fill the top tank, and have the added weight of the 4.8 gallons on the bike.

But i would think it would be nice to have the extra if i wanted to fill it and go out in the far away rural parts

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116433#p116433:3b5ppxm9 said:
Ansimp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:34 pm[/url]":3b5ppxm9]
I like the way you are heading :good:

Thanks Ansimp,

This was taking my time currently from my Valk project, and maybe the engine with it to.

Well i would Give up the Faux Tank for 4.8 gallons of gas, so where am i going to store small items while riding, a cavity for storage, hold on officer let me get my registration, that may save some tickets Not an option, dont go dare.

How about a removeable trunk, It has a LED third brake light.

This has some pockets that are quite large and can hold some stuff, but, by looking at it, the gauges will have to go into the speaker openings, this will leave a large opening in the center of the fairing.

Remember all items will be painted to match.

The tank I have on this bike has a deep enough well to allow most everything to fit under it.

I did change to a different gas cap, I bought a stant gas cap it was lower profile.

I wanted the tank to be as low as possible, and hug the horizontal frame tube.

Note: some pictures will have the tank raised up and others are after I lowered it down to the frame tubes.

I like the look better with the tank lowered down to the frame tubes

I was thinking a few ways i could go.

Using gravity feed from upper tank to lower OEM tank.

plum the stock oem fill neck on the gas tank to accept a fitting then gravity feed.

I would fill the top tank, that top tank will gravity feed the bottom tank,

The stock Oem gas gauge would read full for a long time, and the oem fuel gauge, & pick up, would still be used.

It may be good for people that commuted to work, to lessen stops to fill up.

Another thought is a three way valve, one hose from top tank to one side of three way valve, and the Oem tank to the other side of the three way valve, then you could manually switch between the two tanks to feed the bike.

or you could have one constantly gravity feeding the bottom and bottom tank feeds the engine.

My 83' GL11 would still have a reserve tank too.

I really like the look of that tank.

How about the throw over leather bags.
I think this look is just too sexy. With that trunk too.

image.php

Sure miss Old Girlfriend around here.

I like the look better with the tank lowered down to the frame tubes....

That tank look's Great!! I'm not a trunk guy but you do need storage, but i really Like that tank and love the idea of 9 gallons of gas!! I have been thinking and you have me on a new mission!! I can't round trip 1 day of work and back home with out turning on reserve, that would fix my problem(and make the beater look a little better)

Sorry guy I made a mistake,

OEM tank on my 83' GL11 is 5.30 with the reserve tank

That Is 10.1 total gallons of gas.

OK lets figure this out.

32mpg x 10.1gal. = 323.20 Miles till empty

35mpg x 10.1gals. = 353.50 miles till empty

or if 38MPG could be had.

38mpg x 10.1gals. 383.8 miles till Empty

40mpg x 10.1 gals. = 404 Miles till empty

I live in a rural area i hate to stop exploring just when I am finding a great new place, party is over, time to get gas. ah Schnitz.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116441#p116441:3bxpe32i said:
sgq700 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 pm[/url]":3bxpe32i]
I like the look better with the tank lowered down to the frame tubes....

That tank look's Great!! I'm not a trunk guy but you do need storage, but i really Like that tank and love the idea of 9 gallons of gas!! I have been thinking and you have me on a new mission!! I can't round trip 1 day of work and back home with out turning on reserve, that would fix my problem(and make the beater look a little better)

Yes I like the lowered tank look better too, the bottom of the tanks lines are parallel to the frame tubes and lower.

The Yamaha tank has a nice large tunnel underneath, once you use the stant gas cap for a 1981'-89' Honda Accord, (stant gas cap was less than $5.00 at Napa) and I folded down the ears on it, to get as low of a profile as possible, so i could lower the tank.

I tried to use my Valkyrie gas Tank, But!! it did not sit Low and was up about 4" too high in the front, it looked terrible, and would not work.

The only way a Valk tank will work is if it is the only tank on the bike as the OEM tank filler neck is too tall, Now maybe if the oem tank was Modified, neck shortened all the way down, may even need to remove top buldge of Oem tank to get upper tank low enough.

I imagine riding with some friends, some have Harleys, some of them get 50 mpg, but usually have smaller tanks.

What If on a nice ride out to rural town USA you had 10.1 gallons of gas, you may have your riding buddies thinking they are getting terrible gas mileage.

A few Harley jabs might be in order,

Could be a beer bet there somewhere

till they see it takes you longer to fill your tank(s) than it takes them to fill theirs.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116447#p116447:beb303bg said:
sgq700 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:37 pm[/url]":beb303bg]
Could you post a couple pic's of the neck area and of the rear area with the seat off? Thx. Much!!

I will try to get some pics, wife is calling me to go with her to get groceries, but i will snap some pic soon as i can.

Now as the title of this thread implies, to add or Not to add the extra tank.

My upper tank (the Red & Black one) is not mounted yet, as i am still deciding how and if I am going to proceed or not, so far it looks like it will work.

Testing would have to be done.

The new stant Gas cap is Vented that may present a minor problem, till worked out.

A potential problem that i see,
I want to make sure that i dont go out to my shop and have a situation of the upper tank has over flowed the lower tank and 4.8 gallons of a freshly filled tank(s) is all over the shop floor.

So one thought is, to release fuel from a given tank, only when it is needed, my upper tank has a valve on it, like the oem tank has on it.

Meaning, Fuel valve, positions, On, Off, Reserve

Well we decided to go another day to market.

So here are some pics of;

OEM Tank filler neck
Upper tank rear mount area.

I thought i would use the rear mount holes for the Faux tank, on the Black brace below the Red upper tank mount.

I will have to make a bracket that has two functions,

Mount the rear of the Upper red rear tank mount and
Front seat slide in mount, like the front oem seat mount is from Honda.