1500 swing arm mod attempt to fit 4 cylinder oldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok .. hooch has 1200 final drive and swing arm put in and dose great ... 1200 can use 1500 wheel with a few mods ... so this is attempt to used the 1500 swing arm also along with final drive ...
image.php

this is right after cutting everything ... did all the cutting with hand hack saw to have the smallest kerf going on ...width of cut.....
image.php

this is section of tube cut out early on ..slitting it ..it will be fitted inside tube as spacer between cuts .. theres moore to do here seemed a good 5/16 or so had to be removed and formed to fit inside tube
image.php

this is pic of other hack sawing cut ..it will ride down brace to be rewelded
image.php

this is pic of sleeve install in the tube and pieces pushed together ..using hack saw has got this super close to right ...it wont be to hard from to line everything up

gee it looks crazy ..so far .. but as i looked at everything ..theres no way it anu different than 1500 wheel on 1200 swing arm except for shock mounts and the i think 3" longer wheel base...still some unknowns yet ..but choose to go one step at a time .....like shock mounts maybe frame interference but i think ive got all that covered but i didnt do nothing but look ...

seems i messed up this is pic of hack sawing poated about above
image.php

i might be able to work and mod oldwing ok ...but i will never get control of the kayboard ever :cheeky: :thanks:

i have to thank my right arm man ..slabghost we were able to find reasonable swingarms for me to mess with ..we make a rather good punch ... i am mostly left handed ...this is not just me :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135737#p135737:poqk6hxi said:
backlander » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:12 pm[/url]":poqk6hxi]
This is for the 1000 and 1100 series joe ?
Yes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135737#p135737:1jeehv3j said:
backlander » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:12 pm[/url]":1jeehv3j]
This is for the 1000 and 1100 series joe ?

and 1200 too backlander ... i am less sure on 1200 .. only cause i havnt looked it it much there but i am rather sure it work if it works on any its not done deal yet ...early on yet ... on 1000s there is some frame work ... :headscratch: :hihihi:

I was confused as usual, had to remember it's a 1500 swing arm to all three series. I knew the 1500 final drive and wheel to a 1200 swing arm had already been done, it's almost a plug and play type deal. The 1800 single arm will probably be a challenge, but I know you can figure it out.

yes z man ..but considering the 1500 wheel that bigger than 1200 wheel end result is taller ...id like to know the 5th ratio of 1500 to see how close this would be to 1500 gearing ...

O D gear ratio is 0.759 (22/29) final reduction ratio 2.833 (34.12)

What shop manual says specs are. Hope this helps

1200 and 1500 have same final drive ratio so the only difference will be in the 16 in. 1500 wheel and the tire height. Should make it a little taller geared for less rpm at the same previous 1200 speed.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135775#p135775:2xnsiq3l said:
backlander » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:37 pm[/url]":2xnsiq3l]
1200 and 1500 have same final drive ratio so the only difference will be in the 16 in. 1500 wheel and the tire height. Should make it a little taller geared for less rpm at the same previous 1200 speed.
Is the 1200 a smaller rim?..I thought they were a 16 inch tire on 83 on up.

Your more than welcome Joe glad to help.I personally like the idea of taller wheel,if only by 1/2",but not as much as the heaver double bearing in it! Machine the brake mount to look professional,or a hack saw if your a hack,just kidding Joe. Will work the same either way.Things I don't really don't like are drilling the swing arm to fit 1500 drive,& cutting the bottom shock bolt on brake side to fit. An extra swing arm & bolt would make it a little more acceptable,just hate to ruin any stock parts! If switching to a single carb with plastic intake manifold works out for 1200's with the success that it appears it will,there wont be many reasons not to include as one of the necessary things you do to improve your overall success in making it your own. :clapping:

Latest posts