Budget touring build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys straightwings has been on my radar while I was searching parts availability and what not for these old girls I will try the suggestions of home button orientation. I'm pretty old fashion with technology but I love how portable an iPad is

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190576#p190576:1e40nm73 said:
Aussiejohn » Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 pm[/url]":1e40nm73]
Thanks guys straightwings has been on my radar while I was searching parts availability and what not for these old girls I will try the suggestions of home button orientation. I'm pretty old fashion with technology but I love how portable an iPad is

Since my work bought me an 12" iPad pro, I rarely use my PC at home. I've always had a 10" Samsung tablet of some type, but the larger screen of the iPad makes a big difference. The thing I like about either one of them, download the repair manuals, and I can take them wherever I go without lugging around the 3" 3-ring binder I have in the shop.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190576#p190576:3t3otbks said:
Aussiejohn » Yesterday, 6:49 pm[/url]":3t3otbks]

Goldwingking out of Mississauga is another one.

Thanks for the link guys I guess I'm just trying to save research time and order a "kit" so as I have all parts needed or do/should I stop being lazy and order part per part, alternatively is there a thread I'm missing here that list what I need. Excuse my newishness I have to research how to search better in forum.

I'm putting together a list of parts and numbers I need to get big bertha back on the road so the minister of war and finance (wife) can go shopping for me while I work to minimize non riding time. I will post a picture following suggestion of home button on right side as a test hopefully it works

List so far as you can see brakes still need work

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 75
Also I'm seriously considering ditching the air shock system in favor of progressive rear spring partnumber 4124226c and rebuild the front shock with progressive springs this bike will 95% of the time be ridden fully loaded two up as I have a second run about bike at home. Just for the sake of simplicity as in less to go wrong. Any thoughts suggestions on this?

Sounds like a great plan to me. Not that airing up the suspension is that much bother but. Two bikes with their own purpose is a good thing.

Not that airing up is a bother but I would hate to spend money redoing shocks airlines and needed parts to have air compressor problems be it electrical or mechanical later on when most rides would honestly be suited to a single set up. Makes sense to me but saying that I have no experience with air shock setup at all so I am open to opinions ,

Here are a few suggestions for parts when you do the work.

Thermostat O-Ring 91307-MB0-003
Water Pump Inlet O-ring 91305-426-003

Put a new thermostat in my '85 LTD $51.00 plus tax. Here is a list of alternatives I've collected:

NAPA – 535080
Stant – 45868
Autozone – 15868
Canadian Tire # 14-4000-4
Honda Car - # 19300-611-005

Using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic Jaso MA/MA2 certified - possible alternative for you. For oil filters I generally wait until I get some parts, etc from Fortnine out of Quebec and get 4 or 5 at a time, most reasonable price that way.

I'm still using the original rad cap and it works well, but maybe would work better with a new one - will contemplate.

For your brakes - a good flush with DOT 4 brake fluid. If you are contemplating a rebuild the left front caliper and rear caliper are the same size pistons and the right front are smaller pistons as it is linked to the rear brake.

Part numbers for the front calipers are:

Piston seal - qty 2 - 45209-GE2-006
Dust seal - qty 2 - 45109-GE2-006

Dust Seal - qty 2 - 45209-MA7-006
Piston seal - qty 2 - 45109-MA7-006

Part Numbers for rear caliper are:

Dust seal - qty 2 - 45109-MA7-006
Piston Seal - qty 2 - 45209-MA7-006

I get my brake pads from Kapscomoto out of Pickering Ontario. Approximately $40.00 shipped to you for front and rear brakes - pads are the same for front and rear.

Hope this helps. Cheers

For the rear shocks, I had my suspension upgraded as soon as I bought my '85 LTD. Did the same with my 1800 - put Traxion in the 1800 (full monty - front and rear). I had Race Tech springs and gold emulators in the front forks and progressive shock system for the rear.

The rear shocks are, besides being expensive ($440.00 a shock):

76-1206B Progressive shock cartridge
76-1364B Progressive springs

I believe you need shocks that are 14.25 inches eye to eye. When you look on line for standard rear shocks you may find that the fitment is not for your '84 Aspencade because of the air shocks. Don't be deterred when this happens as the shocks 14.25" or 14.5 inch eye to eye will fit. I think you can get a good set of shocks for a better price than I paid. Here is a company in the UK - good price and for your bike. This company responds to emails. https://secure.bitzforbikes.co.uk/motor ... 0Absorbers

The shocks I had installed have raised the rear of the bike about a 1/2 inch and when I put it on the centre stand the rear tire is still on the ground. I have to add a board under the stand to have the tire off the ground (do not use the centre stand that much).

Ride all the time with the rear shocks on the 4th notch (there are 5) and works great one or two up. I leave it there because you will have to remove the saddlebags to adjust the shock.

I'm very happy with the progressive rear shocks I have even considering the price. Amortized over 5 year it is not a huge cost.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190623#p190623:1mt9hrkf said:
PurpleGL1200I » Today, 3:56 am[/url]":1mt9hrkf]
440 each would be a shock!!

The whole suspension upgrade was; however, barring a catastrophic health issue, don't intend getting rid of this bike anytime soon. Will get my money out of it. We'll see how good a touring machine it is. Already talking to my friends about a trip to the Yukon and NW Territories next year. Even thinking ahead to shipping it to Australia for a 3 to 6 month tour for my 65th in two years.

Dennis over on the Steve Saunders site has over 250,000 miles (400,000 Km) on his 1200. We should be good for some time to come.

Cheers

The three yellow wires! check the plug near the battery where the yellow wires from the stator connect... If there is any evidence of melting or corrosion cut the plug out and solder the wires directly.

Latest posts