torsion bar suspension vs springs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn406

Reaction score
I am planning to pull a trailer with my new 81 Interstate. I was wondering if torsion bars are enough superior to springs to justify the cost?

I guess it depends on the use of the trailer and how much you intend to pull it. Personally, I can't justify the cost difference to myself although I hear they pull and handle nice.

I might be looking at building something for my dog...Used to have a sidecar on my BMW and my dogs loved it.

I think the biggest advantage to torsion bars is not having the axle to work around.
You can use taller tires and still build the body slung down between the two still keeping the center of gravity down low.
Other wise you will need enough room between the body and axle for the suspension travel or a large hunp inside the trailor to clear the axle.
I am content with my sprung straight axle,but have always loved the look of the bushtecs.

Tory hit on what I was gunna say....with a torsion bar, the actual trailer can be lower than with a spring suspension set-up.

AApple":3ginp880 said:
Tory hit on what I was gunna say....with a torsion bar, the actual trailer can be lower than with a spring suspension set-up.

Thats exactly what I meant.
With the torsion bar suspension the trailor can use a tall tire with the body dropped low between them with out having an axle in the way.
Where as a straight axle trailor has to be high enough to allow suspension room between the axle and body.Imagine how tall a Harbor Freight trailor would be with a pair of 15 inch wheels on it.But a Bushtec or similer using torsion bars has the tall wheel and still keeps the body eight inchs or lower to the ground.

Is there a shock absorber effect with the torsion bars that would make it bounce less than with springs?

Glenn406":tvksjuai said:
Is there a shock absorber effect with the torsion bars that would make it bounce less than with springs?
The rubber bushings needed to hold a torsion bar do act as a sort of shock absorber but don't really limit bounce like a shock absorber. Just an observation from having had an old car with torsion bars and worn out shocks.

What I like about torsion bars is when you are going down the road and hit a chuck hole it don't jump all over the place. With an axel it will tellecope over to the other wheel and the trailor will jump all over the place. with the torsion bar it will just take the shock and keep on going. I love my trailor.

I've built a large trailer for a sail boat I inherited. The cost was a bit higher but the ride was 500% smoother. The axels act independantly from one another. Result no load transfer from one wheel to the other. On a bike during a sharp curve this also means no sudden jerk in the appex which can cause some nasty results. Then you have all the other bennifits everyone else have provided.

Bob the new guy in the sand box

My cyclemate trailer is a torsion bar suspension and it has been great to pull. I have never seen it do anything but follow quietly.
You can buy the torsion bar with stub axles at a trailer supply store.