Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Harbor Freight and brought home this trailer - it was $449.99 and usually sold for $399.99. I downloaded a New Year's Day special coupon for 25% off, so I got it for $299.99!
Got every thing I need (except lengthening the tongue), so I'll build/paint it over the winter.
I'll take pics as I go...

Happy New Year to you all.......

Attachments

• HF Tag-Along trailer.jpg
    HF Tag-Along trailer.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,532
I will do all the tips I've read in the various HF trailer build posts - I will definitely repack the bearings with high quality grease.
The springs are a single leaf, so no tweaking there, but I can still mount the axle above the springs.
To save electrical loads, I'll replace the bulbs with some good LED's from superbrightleds.com.
The frame is black; I may spray it silver along with the wheels - dunno yet.
I'll lengthen the tongue 24 inches to allow for a cooler.
Saw a neat trick about using a bicycle kick stand as a tongue support - gonna do that.
I already have a Hopkins 46255 lighting isolator to hook up the lights.
I will take the carrier to the body shop to see what the'd charge to spray it using a flexible bumper type paint; be nice to have it the same color as the bike - may be to pricey though...

I'll post some pics once I start the build.

Slabghost-
Good point :thanks: - if I can find a bed liner spray that's anywhere close to my bike's color, I know I'd be many dollars ahead to do that....

backlander - I'll keep ya posted.

I spoke to a few people with trailers that used a bicycle kick stand. That was the same thing I was planning on doing with my trailer. They have all told me to not bother because it wasn't strong enough and to go right with a tongue jack stand. Kompact Kamp (https://www.jdtrailers.com/) has them for $40.00

Attachments

• Jackstand.jpg
    Jackstand.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,489
Well, I put the frame together and mounted the axle on top of the springs-
that isn't going to work! The drop was too severe; so I reassembled with the axle in it's proper location....actually worked out beter because the tongue and the hitch ball are at the same height now.

DSC_0006.JPG

I also added some garden hose on the axle bolts to mitigate noise -
DSC_0012.JPG

The bearings have a grease fitting, which is great, but I'll repack them with high quality 'merican grease....
DSC_0004.JPG

Now I just need a good way to lengthen the tongue. As it stands the axle/tongue ratio is 1.54; I need to add about 8 inches to achieve 1.75.
DSC_0013.JPG

And yes, I know the workshop is packed to the hilt....a fella ALWAYS needs more space...but I'm a submariner and am used to cramped and crowded quarters - LOL

I had briefly thought about painting the frame silver, but decided against it. The quality of the black paint is good and, besides, it will match the frame of the bike.

mwbill -
reasons to lengthen include:
1) better handling - a ratio of 1.75/1 tongue length/axle width seems to be the magic number
2) room to mount a cooler
3) ability to shift weight around to maintain about 30 lb. on the hitch

KYWinger":2fdtmqca said:
And yes, I know the workshop is packed to the hilt....a fella ALWAYS needs more space...but I'm a submariner and am used to cramped and crowded quarters - LOL

I see open floor space so that is a lot better than mine. I have to postion bicycles and trash cans a certain way to be able to store all of my crap.

joe- I'm looking for some suitably sized aluminum square tubing...I'll add it at the trailer side and either bolt or weld it to the existing tongue. If I can find something that fits inside the existing, I figure a 2' length would do it - 1' inside for strength and 1' extension.

I still have to come up with a trick way of mounting the spare tire...

KYWinger":2d7c0iq0 said:
I still have to come up with a trick way of mounting the spare tire...

Here's Tory's set-up...it's tucked up underneath....where ya cain't bang yer shins on it.... :smilie_happy:

I went to the Transportation Cabinet yesterday and got a plate for the trailer :clapping: I didn't want to ever be stopped when traveling in a state that required plates on trailers (KY doesn't).
Guess this means I need to finish building it! LOL