1982 GL1100 Clutch Nut Tool

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time finding a tool that is designed to remove the clutch nut on my 1100. Lotsa posts on modified sockets but frustrating to find a tool specifically for the 1100. As I measure it the "notches" in the nut are 26mm and the larger outside diameter of the nut measures 32mm.
Ive seen alot of 24mm tools and discussions about folks ordering online only to find out what they ordered was the wrong tool, dont want to go through that hassle.
Cant figure out why the tools that fit the 1000/24mm are $9-$12 and the only tool I can find for the 1100, Wingovations I think, is $38.
Any help is appreciated

philc":e27dzcfm said:
Having a hard time finding a tool that is designed to remove the clutch nut on my 1100. Lotsa posts on modified sockets but frustrating to find a tool specifically for the 1100. As I measure it the "notches" in the nut are 26mm and the larger outside diameter of the nut measures 32mm.
Ive seen alot of 24mm tools and discussions about folks ordering online only to find out what they ordered was the wrong tool, dont want to go through that hassle.
Cant figure out why the tools that fit the 1000/24mm are $9-$12 and the only tool I can find for the 1100, Wingovations I think, is $38.
Any help is appreciated
I am one of those that ordered the 1000 tool that did not fit my 1100! :crying: BUT.......I was able to get it off with a set of channel locks.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have to go out and purchase a dremel tool to get this job done.
Still I am a bit puzzled as to the lack of such a tool on the open market.
It is curious to me that the early Wing, 1000 has readily available tools from multiple suppliers at cheap prices yet the 1100 has neither.
Strange to me because I was under the impression that far more 1100s were produced.

philc":2arwka5c said:
...It is curious to me that the early Wing, 1000 has readily available tools from multiple suppliers at cheap prices yet the 1100 has neither.
Strange to me because I was under the impression that far more 1100s were produced.
Probably has nothing to do with how many were made of each goldwing model. The ones that fit the 1000 probably fit a lot of other models, not necessarily even Honda.

Larger market, more interest, hence competition, = more availability, and lower price. All what the market will bear and profitability.

I purchased the Motion Pro "MP Oil/Clutch Spanner Honda" and took a dremel to it, using the new lock nut as a guide, I took just enough metal off so that it fit snugly.
New plates and springs went in without trouble, lining up the tabs with the new lock nut was a little tricky.
Bending the tab up on the lock washer/"keeper" was a challenge as none of my screwdrivers fit in the slot correctly, until I stumbled on a cruddy old pocket clip type screwdriver sitting beside the road one day.
It fit perfectly and got the job done just as it broke in two, some things just work out in a weird way.

Attachments

• tool in look nut.JPG
    tool in look nut.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 411