Gloom, Dispair, and Agony on Me....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:crying:
Well...I wuz gunna ride the 'Wing today for the first time since I hert meself. Backed it out of the gee-raj, got me helmet and other stuff ready, turned the key, and........nuttin. No dash lights, no head/tail lights...nada. Twisted the key back/forth 30-40 times, and still nuttin. So I pushed the dang thing back in the gee-raj and drove the cage. :crying:

I'm assuming the problem is with the Ign switch. I checked the main fuse, and all of the fuses in the fuse panel, all that checks good. The stereo, and driving lights work...dint check the horn, but it prolly works too, since it runs directly off of the battery.
There have been times that I have had to wiggle the key to get the headlight on, so I gotta think the switch is caput, or at the very least really derty, and needs some luv. Dang thing was FINE when I parked it last Wed.....
How much crap am I gunna have to remove to get to the ign. switch/connector? Service manual says to remove the instrument cluster. Can I take the weight thingy off the front, and get to the switch connector from there? :beg:

sheesh you know better than most by looking at it your screwed ...pretty rough deal to deal with no room ....then after tearing everything apart ... it wont be the switch ... by then you wil have to be put in a strait jacket to keep you from burning the wing to the ground ... moma will have to use a club so you a can be in time out long enough to regain senses and get the knock out rest you need .... hmmm good luck joel :hihihi: :ahem:

AApple":oc2cs7vy said:
Dang thing was FINE when I parked it last Wed.....
Ran when I parked it... hehehe :smilie_happy:
There have been times that I have had to wiggle the key to get the headlight on,
Hate to say this, but that should have been a clue of some needed love. :head bang:
How much crap am I gunna have to remove to get to the ign. switch/connector?
Depends a lot on the size of your hands and what tools you have available. Definitely easier on a 'naked' bike (but still a process.)

I don't know what's so hard about it, all I did was turn the bike upside down replaced the switch, ........ and da fairing, windshield and the top of the trunk,......... piece of cake. :shock: :smilie_happy:

For something so simple, it's a witch to do without just going ahead and taking the fairing off.

Well take the windshield off for starters, that makes it much easier to see what has to be done next.

I posted a video on the index page of what it takes to get at the bulbs to replace them. In that video I show the 4 nuts to remove to pull the cluster up and away.
I don't remember what it takes to remove the ignition switch at that point but it should be self explanitory once the cluster is up.

joedrum":s18e6tvi said:
sheesh you know better than most by looking at it your screwed ...pretty rough deal to deal with no room ....then after tearing everything apart ... it wont be the switch ... by then you wil have to be put in a strait jacket to keep you from burning the wing to the ground ... moma will have to use a club so you a can be in time out long enough to regain senses and get the knock out rest you need .... hmmm good luck joel :hihihi: :ahem:
roncar":s18e6tvi said:
AApple":s18e6tvi said:
Dang thing was FINE when I parked it last Wed.....
Ran when I parked it... hehehe :smilie_happy:
backlander":s18e6tvi said:
I don't know what's so hard about it, all I did was turn the bike upside down replaced the switch, ........ and da fairing, windshield and the top of the trunk,......... piece of cake. :shock: :smilie_happy:

Awwww.....cain't cha just FEEEEL the lurv around heah?
smiley31.gif

:cheeky: :smilie_happy:

I've replaced the bulbs in the center cluster before, but I dint take it OUT...just took the front cover off. Guess I'll just hafta dig into it this evenin.... :builder: :thanks:

I had something similar happen some years ago on my 77. It just went dead as I was pulling in to my drive. Just luck!!! Checked and checked everything. Finely it just had to be the switch. It was. I didn't know at the time that switch was 2 part, switch and base. I just ordered aftermarket. Now I have 2 keys one for switch and one for shelter #%^^%%. Fairing had to come off and can't remember what all else a lot I think. Good luck Jerry

toytender01":ka5y1kym said:
Did ja check da fuse and the starter relay?????????

:Doh2: :rtfm:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94183#p94183:ka5y1kym said:
AApple » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am[/url]":ka5y1kym]
I'm assuming the problem is with the Ign switch. I checked the main fuse, and all of the fuses in the fuse panel, all that checks good.

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I can get to the switch, but I can't get the dang thing unplugged. I had to give up on it for tonight. :sensored:
I have power AT the fuse box, and the fuse to the far right is hot all the time, but none of the others ever power up, no matter what position the key is in. Just for spits and grins, I jumpered across the far right fuse to the one next to it, and....BINGO. Everything will work like that...starts and runs, and all lights function, and everything comes on/off with the key, just like normal. However....the fuse gets pretty hot. I only ran it for aboot a minute, and shut it off. As I said, I can't get the ign switch unplugged so I can check for voltage at the connector....gunna hafta take the dadburn fairing off, I s'pose. :builder: :crying:

While I'm here...does anyone have a clear pic, or diagram of what fuse is what in the '81 fusebox? My cover does have the decal, but it's so worn out I can't read any of it....sure would be nice to know which fuse is which. Service manual is no help...the pic is from too far away to be able to ID the fuses.... :headscratch: