improved gas mileage GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Seel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas or modification's that will improve gas mileage. The mileage I get is in the normal range for a 1200, the bike is a SEI so it weighs a ton, is fuel injected . What I've noted is when I decal. the exhaust fumes smell a little rich. plugs look alright,tailpipe is blacker then I'd like. I have a K&N type air filter, started using ATF in the gas and I'm trying that spark plug mod. that you remove some of the ground electrode. I don't have any gripes about how the bike runs, starts right up, all the power you need I'm just looking for some ideas to kick around.

im those are good .. but take time ... im not sure how the FI in 1200s handles atf but I would think its ok ...give it some time it takes time to clean old motor if it was dirty inside

Hard to beat 40MPG on a touring Wing. You might try adding some Lubro-moly jetron gasoline fuel injection cleaner to the gas. I have used many injection cleaner additives throughout the years and always get results from that brand.

On my hard run on the Rats Nest anything above 30mg was a blessing. I was using about 10-20% more than Kim's 2012 Road King unless I kept it under 5k rpm.

At 40mpg it must be running pretty good. New plugs or air filter might help. Changing how you ride may get you the best return though. Take off at lower rpm and shift at lower rpm. Anticipate curves and let the bike slow earlier without much braking. After the curve ease the throttle back up. Anticipate traffic lights and reduce throttle to slow earlier and often you can avoid stopping. The fewer stops you make will keep the rpm lower resuming speed. Stay with the flow of traffic though. You don't want to aggravate the squishmobile drivers.

Thanks for all the input, the way speed I drive I know makes a big difference. at 60mph the mpg is greatly improved over 75mph,the thing is driving 60 on the interstate here will get you ran over. There all in a hurry to go no where.

It would be nice if we had all of the rear differential ratios for all the year wings. Ring and pinion ratios.
Then maybe we could swap for taller final drive ratios.
I had a VTX1300. It got 38mpg and I kept trying to shift it one more time on the freeway. I learned the VTX1800 wheel was an easy swap. The 1300 had a 15" rear wheel and the 1800 had a 16".
I bought a VTX1800 wheel on Ebay and I had the rear brake disc modified. The tire and wheel was about 2" taller than stock. Bingo, 50mpg, and the bike was more enjoyable to ride. I didn't notice any difference in the performance.

That link didnt work. Where do I look it up?
Given this valuable information one can choose a taller ratio to get better mpg. If it changes out. :cool:

The only fairly easy final drive/wheel swap I've heard of is using the 1500 in the 1200, I don't know if it will work on the 1100 or 1000 series. Swapping the 1500 swing arm into the 1200 only requires a little grinding on the brake caliper mount plate and a little drilling in the swing arm tube, and it lets you run 16 in rim on rear instead of a 15. I haven't done this mod but have read about others doing it, got it on my mind to do sometime in the future. You gain a taller tire, better rear caliper and if you do it on an 84/85 model 1200, you eliminate the "wobbly wheel bearing syndrome in those two models".

I have rebuilt 1200 carbs and after the sync, they usually got 40 mpg too, compared to your FI, and that's really good for your bike and weight..i haven't tried the different rear wheel size thing either, but it sounds like it could be a great investment.

Yes 1" taller tire makes a difference.

It can be both good or bad depending how you ride most.
It can put rpms too low and run the engine lower than its best power but it can put rpm in a better place at higher speed.
Takeoffs are affected too.