Do these CDIs look problematic?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maritimeboy

Reaction score
Just pulled these off my '80 GL1100. Drying out possible moisture now. Will put multimeter on after cool.
These obviously bare connection should be buried in epoxy, right?

Cheers

Attachments

• exposed cdis.jpg
    exposed cdis.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 194
I assume this could be the problem I have been posting about. Although both coils were split (replace with new) it still starts at full choke and dies after I decrease choke to normal and never starts again.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181533#p181533:298ab2ck said:
Maritimeboy » 20 minutes ago[/url]":298ab2ck]
I assume this could be the problem I have been posting about. Although both coils were split (replace with new) it still starts at full choke and dies after I decrease choke to normal and never starts again.
That sounds more to me like it's running out of gas?
Have you tried twisting the gas cap open to the first stop? Could be a vacuum in the tank preventing flow. Is the fuel filter clean?
How about the fuel pump. Maybe not delivering at a lower rpm? The pump should deliver at cranking speed. Do you have an electric pump you could try?

That is the problem with the 80-81 models, they fixed this on the later models by changing the coil ohms and adding a resistor to the coils so instead of the igniters taking the heat the resistor does. If you already hadn't bought the coils I would advise getting 82-83 coils with the resistor but you already have new ones so best thing is to fill them with epoxy .. I filled my 80 model with epoxy and still going strong, If something fails I`ll upgrade the coils and buy ignitors.

I've also read where people have tried JB Weld and they still work. Personally I'd use epoxy. If you find you need a set, i think i still have mine that you can have.