good thing im bald already!!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repoagentchris

Reaction score
ok, first off, im new here, hi everyone. I was doing some reading and thought I had a stator issue, decided i was gonna do the alternator addition come winter, and for now i would just use a tender on my brand new battery, so I could still ride a little untill then. Well, bought the tender, charged all night, tender said the batt was fully charged, so i took it for a quick spin around town, maybe 10 minutes, came home and shut it off, and just for giggles tried to start it again.................IT WONT!!!!! barely even cranks!!!! What could this be?? BTW, it's an 84 GL1200

Welcome to the forums.

First off you need to check the voltage at the battery when running, that will tell us a lot what needs to be done next.
What's the condition of the 3 yellow stator wire plug next to the battery? It's a common problem they overheat/corrode and prevent current flow.

Running just 10 minutes you'd think there should be enough power to crank so there could be other problems also but charge voltage is the first to check.

(Topic moved to General/1200 discussions)

Welcome to the fun. Check your connections to the battery are also clean and tight. Along with the connector to the voltage regulator.

Make sure you aren't dumping loose voltage into the coolant overflow tank....that is only for coolant not extra battery volts! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

welcome
10 minutes on Goldwing is plenty to drain a battery. Time flies when you are having fun-- I bet you were on it much longer than you think! :Egyptian:
You needs your charging system addressed.
Good Luck
Simba

welcome sir, you just got a sample of how goofy some of these guys are on here,,they keep me in stitches alot of the time....I think the 3 yellow wire connection is bad like Dan mentioned, just cut and solder the wires good, doesn't matter which wire goes to which, then test the charging system with a multimeter for volts after you start it up at the battery.. Bald???

littlebeaver":grkxi4cv said:
welcome sir, you just got a sample of how goofy some of these guys are on here,,they keep me in stitches alot of the time....I think the 3 yellow wire connection is bad like Dan mentioned, just cut and solder the wires good, doesn't matter which wire goes to which, then test the charging system with a multimeter for volts after you start it up at the battery.. Bald???

No thanks Beave im getting thin enough up there already and wifey says first sign of a comb-over and shes trading me in for two 28 year olds !!

btw welcome to the forum repo! I think either Dan or Slab have it right (or a combination of both)

Welcome to the CGW Forums!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You'd be surprised at how quickly a battery will discharge if there is no working charging system. You gotta remember you're running the head/tail lights(and any extra lights), ignition, brake light(s), stereo if ya got one, etc. A battery won't have enough juice to crank the engine if it gets too far below 10 volts, no matter how hot it was before you took off on the ride.
I would first check battery voltage with it running, as has been suggested. If you know your stator is not charging, there's not really a lot you can do, unless you want to add a spare battery in a saddlebag... :crying:

I'm kind dumb, what does being Bald have to do with any of this? I do not understand..duh

:smilie_happy:
Beav....I think what he means is, IF he had any hair, he would look like this little feller... :Awe: :Awe:
But since he apparently don't have no hair....he won't be pulling it out due to the aggravation.... :hihihi:

I knew that you silly rabbit..Hey I just put a boat load of photo's in my gallery or album, hope ya like them..