Has anyone ever tried to run a wing on propane?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of conversion kits for small engines like lawn mowers and at least one guy is working on a motorcycle engine. I'd think a big bike like a Goldwing has room to carry a standard 17# tank where most don't. It could sit on the luggage rack behind the driver. Of course, an adequate frame to hold the tank would need to be fabbed.

It's been done. A guy on NGW built his to run propane. Tank was positioned where the faux tank was. I think he adapted forklift propane parts.

He had loads of experience with propane on his rock crawlers which prompted him to do this and he managed a propane station. He stretched his 1200 frame to accommodate a 30lb tank. He claimed it ran great as does EHE in Europe. Oil changes can be stetched a bit. His build at ngw was hydrocarbonrocket, unfortunately he ended up with leukemia and died in his forties. He used a diffuser on each side.

:read: :read: Before converting your bike away from gasoline, compare the heat values of the fuels. Propane and E85 have 3/4 the heat energy of gasoline. A bike that gets 40mpg on gasoline will drop to about 30mpg on propane or E85.

As a teenager, I drove a heavy oilfield truck that started on gasoline and switched to propane after warmed up. When it switched, it felt like the engine had lost a couple of cylinders. The company used it because propane was much cheaper than gasoline back then.

Forklifts used indoors around people use propane or electricity because they cause far fewer emissions, but the propane cost today is higher than gasoline.

Diesel fuel has about the same heat value as gasoline, but requires much heavier engines to stand up to the vibration. Remember the GM effort in the late 70s to put diesel engines in passenger cars? I test-drove a Chevy station wagon with a 350 diesel that had less than half the power of a 350 gas-powered wagon. The sluggishness, stink, and noise convinced me I didn't want that car.

Am I in favor of trying different propulsion sources? Absolutely!! The transportation industry has spent billions of dollars over the last hundred years trying to develop and use alternative fuels.

Alternative fuels are just that, an alternative to gasoline. To date, gasoline is best because it is more available; operating costs are similar; it contains (and delivers) more energy per unit; and most of all, the Wing was engineered and built to give outstanding performance on gasoline.

No, I don't own oil stocks, but I wish I could afford to.

I have a propane heater in my house and got sticker shock when I got the tank filled this winter. It's crazy expensive now! Gas price had cut in half but propane was still about $3.85, what it was 2 years ago. So I'd not only be paying almost double per gallon but only going 3/4 the distance on it. My main interest was academic. I thought it would be fun to do and it does have a couple of advantages but not enough to be worth actually doing it.