Leaking oil from front fork-GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom.believes

Reaction score
I'm new to the Goldwing site. I also don't have any specialized tools for working on my bike. GL1200, 1984. I noticed last night that my front tire had oil all over it, and my front right fork was the probable location of the leak. I looked up the repair in my manual, and thought this might be more than I could manage for a repair. I normally don't shy away from minor repairs to my car or bike...
Is this more than a novice could handle by himself, and if so, what would be a ballpark estimate for a shop to handle?
Thanks for any input!
Tom

:hi: Welcome to the site Tom :salute:
Its not an easy task... Thats why i havnt done the job myself to my bike yet
Some of the guys here thats done the job will let you in on some advise here shortly

DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH THE SHOP CHARGES FOR doing the repair.. and what you want done to the bike... at issue is it is faired (interstate, vetter) would you take the forks in to them or the whole bike.. and your opinion on difficult ( one member's teenaged highschool daughter helped him with his..) some have replaced the seals with the forks left on the bike and still in the triple tree... tools needed.. allen wrench set, sockets, hand wrenches, screw driver, maybe a powered impact driver, with allen socket bits.. place to work and patience.. check this forum for tips and a couple of the other goldwing forums such as north american goldwing forum..

Hey Tom, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :music:

I have changed my fork seals (actually, it was my teenage daughter who did it!) I do not have a 1200, but I would assume that the procedure does not vary. Depending on your willingness to take things apart, the faring comes off, front tire, brakes, speedo stuff and any extras until you get to the triple tree. Once apart, the fork was very easy to work on and we used a 1 1/2" PVC pipe as a fork seal installation tool. Trust me, it was easy and we got each fork done in less than 10 minutes per fork not counting wheel and faring removal and installation.

mcgovern61":wjl8evhc said:

I have changed my fork seals (actually, it was my teenage daughter who did it!) I do not have a 1200, but I would assume that the procedure does not vary. Depending on your willingness to take things apart, the faring comes off, front tire, brakes, speedo stuff and any extras until you get to the triple tree. Once apart, the fork was very easy to work on and we used a 1 1/2" PVC pipe as a fork seal installation tool. Trust me, it was easy and we got each fork done in less than 10 minutes per fork not counting wheel and faring removal and installation.

Gerry, that sounds encouraging...may go ahead with the project. Haven't looked for parts yet, but will tonight!
Tom

mcgovern61":6jrpmbvf said:

well, I wish I could say everything went smoothly this weekend, changing out my fork seals. The last time it was done, (previous owner I assume), the hex heads were wallowed out on the end of the forks, so I had to purchase an easy out tool, drill out the bolts and buy new bolts. Then just as I was going to install the new seal on the first fork, I noticed my PVC inner diameter was too small by 1/16"!! Went to a couple of places to see if I could find something with the right diameter, and came up empty handed. Any Suggestions??
Tom

tom.believes":2e6n7719 said:
mcgovern61":2e6n7719 said:

well, I wish I could say everything went smoothly this weekend, changing out my fork seals. The last time it was done, (previous owner I assume), the hex heads were wallowed out on the end of the forks, so I had to purchase an easy out tool, drill out the bolts and buy new bolts. Then just as I was going to install the new seal on the first fork, I noticed my PVC inner diameter was too small by 1/16"!! Went to a couple of places to see if I could find something with the right diameter, and came up empty handed. Any Suggestions??
Tom

Which PVC? I think we used the black thin walled PVC (could be ABS?)

mcgovern61":2v3xzg7d said:
tom.believes":2v3xzg7d said:
mcgovern61":2v3xzg7d said:

Tom

Which PVC? I think we used the black thin walled PVC (could be ABS?)

all I could find was schedule 40, gray or white or black...all had the same inner diameter...I was hoping to find some schedule 20, but not sure it is available anymore. I did read where one guy cut his 1 1/2 " lengthwise and used the 2 halves...thinking of trying that.

I bought my 1.5" white, standard, under the sink pvc at Lowe's and Home Depot. The first one I bought magically disappeared, I guess to that place where you other socks go...anyway, both places have a sections where they sell shortened lengths of the pvc pipe. That particular bin is where I found the pipe I needed.

If you can't find one, you could slice your pipe like a bagel lengthwise, wrap it around your fork tube, and secure your new tool with hose clamps, or maybe just make one slice lengthwise, spread the pipe, slide it down the tube, and use it that way...no hose clamps.

tom.believes":gnkflnkb said:
I'm new to the Goldwing site. I also don't have any specialized tools for working on my bike. GL1200, 1984. I noticed last night that my front tire had oil all over it, and my front right fork was the probable location of the leak. I looked up the repair in my manual, and thought this might be more than I could manage for a repair. I normally don't shy away from minor repairs to my car or bike...
Is this more than a novice could handle by himself, and if so, what would be a ballpark estimate for a shop to handle?
Thanks for any input!
Tom

Tom I have the same problem made some calls to 3 local Honda shops around me and they said they would NOT work on a Honda or any bike more than 6 years old. I called a machanic that has his owne shop ( he did this job for me 4 years ago) his price was $180.00.
He is a very good machanic but he is 40+ miles away. Like you I have very good machancial skills and lots of tools but I shy away from this type of job. I think I am going to do the repair myself this time I looked on the site and found the Tech Reference thred and a Honda service manual with pictures. After I saw that I feel brave enough to do the job myself may cost about 50.00 to do and bragg on the site how easy it was after I do the job. Good luck

Attachments

• DSC02231.jpg
    DSC02231.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 234
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 237
It was not that difficult to do, I found. The biggest headache was getting the spring back in the fork. Had my wife been standing a few feet to the wrong side, she would have caught the spring in the gut when I was trying to reinstall it. Good luck with your project!