Need a little help with a starter relay.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I got the 1200 from A1 and A2 home yesterday. Ride home was flawless, minus an electrical problem. When I stopped to fuel up, the bike wouldn't come on at all, no lights, no anything. I pulled the battery cover to check the main fuse and just touched the starter relay, and everything began to work. Made the rest of the ride home without incident.

I went out this morning to clear out a rats nest of wires from under the shelter, and found that the connector to the starter relay was melted. I've got a four post starter relay like on a Ford vehicle, wired it in and the bike will run, but the starter button doesn't work. Now I'm not sure if I have it wired wrong or if there is something different. I'm putting up a diagram showing how mine is wired at the moment. If it's wrong, someone please speak up and point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• Starter relay wiring 7 28 10.jpg
    Starter relay wiring 7 28 10.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 157
I don't know much about the 1200 but here's a screenshot of the manual page from the Gallery might help.

Looks like your Red/White should be fed through the main fuse. I think in your drawing it's connected to an auxiliary post.

Capture.JPG

OK, but what trips the relay when that's done? I'm sorry, but I have no idea what goes on with this area of the system. I can do paint and body work any day of the week, but when it comes to this I'm lost.

From what I can tell, this part of the system is very very similar to the 1100's.

Judging by the wiring diagram it looks identical to an 1100.

On the bike the ground comes from the neutral light and the clutch switch.
The positive for the coil comes from the start button.

On your particular Ford relay you have to figure out which 2 connectors will close the relay, where the ground and positive should connect.
Some use the metal frame of the relay housing like in your drawing, some use a 2 pin connector.
Got a pic of the relay?

Be careful you don't send a positive connection down the ground wire, that will burn out the silicon rectifier.

I don't have a pic of the relay, but I have the green wire attached to the ground pin where the bolts go through and grounds to the body/frame. I've burnt out a couple of rec/regulators before, and will never forget that smell. The relay has the 2 top posts, one for the battery, one for the starter, then two smaller posts on the side for the start button connections, as far as I know. I'm not sure where the 30 AMP fuse is to go.

Just got a message from A1 on another board about the same problem. He directed me to a forum specifically for 1200's so I'm going to check that out. I'll let you know how I fair.