okay something new for doghouse wing production

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Joe an old ram, electric motor and power steering pump might not be a bad idea to save some of your sweat :yes:

maybe stretch a frame and put the motor in sideways sans transmission and an old harley tranny and belt drive? Or direct drive to a corvair transaxle to make a trike.

I would love to do a reverse trike using a GL1500 and a VW torsion beam front end had one on a 69' bug i had, sway away adjusters, that could tighten the front suspension or soften it up and could lower/raise the front end.

Front suspension was comfortable.

That beam suspension up close to the front of the GL1500 motor, tied into the motor mounts, and a short piece of frame using the swing arm, rear car tire on oem rim, brakes, from the GL1500.

Make it as short as possible, single seat, to keep it short.

I saw a guy that built a reverse trike, i wish i would have got a picture of it, and he used some VW Rear fenders on the front of the reverse trike, but turned them backwards, so that the rear of the fender faced forward.

It looked very cool, and was really old school European styling, I thought it looked real swoopy, Like a 63' Jaguar, 60's Old Corvette.

He put the Brake light/Driving light, & turn signals in the trailing/rear part of the front fender.

It had very curvacious lines, looked real sexy, the way he had it, made it look very nice.

I dont know what powered it.

It looked like it would be a lot of fun, there was a crowd looking at it at Walmart parking lot, it was attracting a lot of attention, he probably attracted a lot of attention where ever he went.

If you had the VW fenders they could hide your gas Tank, Battery, and maybe have a small storage.

Some of the Nice Cadillac deville the nice older Tail lights had driving lights, Brake light and turn signals all in one, and looked really cool, those would be nice in the rear of those fenders.

Stock GL1500 specs.

100h.p. @ 5200rpm
110 lbs. per ft. @ 4000rpm
0-60 in 5.2 seconds
Curb weight 853 lbs
weight Engine/trans 278-lbs.

That is with the Super smogged down slider carbs, and all the smog valves and miles of Vacuum lines on the GL1500.

With a single progressive carb. that could have More Torque than stock.

No valve to adjust!!

It doesn't have any gear issues Joe, It shifts fine in all gears and doesn't pop out of any. Just a slight bearing noise that was there when I bought the bike and still had the same noise, no better or no worse, 10,000 miles later when I took the engine out. Funny thing was after all the work of changing the engine, the new engine had the same noise only not quite as prominent.

well my plan was to put the 32-36 weber carb on it . i just got from shovelking trading for a starter he needed ...seems to me this carb would be perfect size for a 1500 motor ....

a reverse trike is what i was thinking as this is the least heavy and easiest way to build one ... taking and stuffing an 1500 in a 1100 frame and making a reverse trike would bring some nice gearing to the table for a trike .....ok so far all i have is the carb LOL ... i am having trouble getting motor and trip financed to get the motor .... things have been so spiffy this pass winter to say the least ... :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105219#p105219:1sod8pyn said:
joedrum » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 pm[/url]":1sod8pyn]
fortunitly a frame stretcher is more more easy to obtain than the lumber stretcher I was sent after as a teen ager by my first employment experience :doh:

Ha! My shop teacher sent me after one of those in the 7th grade. The other shop teacher sent me back with a hammer and a crescent wrench.