R/R Throttle cables for 93 GL1500 (my plan+need your advice)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say I'm already way ahead of the game because I've got Vegaswingnut helping me(the man never gives up and I personally think he is a shade tree genius).

That said, after much research online and in both Clymer and the Big Honda service manuals, there is precious little information on the topic. Most of the advice is about removing the airbox and little else. With this thread I plan to end this. I plan to take pictures and maybe video with my phone throughout the process that will be specific to the 93 GL1500 and 1500s in general.

Here is my plan: I'm not a big fan of removing the airbox. It sounds like a tough job that only adds a little better view(someone may want to change my idea on this). Anyway, I did find a tutorial for the same process only for a GL1100 and except for the need to move the carb rack(I don't have one) the procedure seems sound. Disconnect both cables at both ends -> remove one of the cables from the grip end -> tie a heavy gauge wire or piece of string to the bottom of the remaining cable -> pull the remaining cable out from the grip end carefully threading the wire/string though the bike and out the grip end -> attach the wire/string to the bottom of BOTH new cables -> lube the cables -> carefully feed the the cables through the bike from the grip end to the left side. Now this is why I'd rather not remove the airbox, I feel we'll have a better chance of threading the new cables through the bike in the exact pathway of the old cables if the airbox is in place. My gut feeling is the cables will present a real problem getting the airbox back in place after the new cables are in place. Getting the tubes under the box reattached and keeping the box in the right place just sounds like a nightmare we don't need. -> reattach the cables and adjust, which sounds like the toughest part of the job to me, well both disconnecting and reconnecting.
What do you guys think? Are there any "gotchas," that I need to be aware of, do you have any advice(other than paying someone else to do the job)?

~O~

Just like pulling wire though conduit with a fish tape. Just do all you can to joining old and new cables smoothly so it feeds through without catching on things.

Having just done an engine change on a 1500, the images are still fresh in my mind. I've been proven wrong before but I don't think you really have an option as far as removing the airbox and it really isn't that difficult. (8 screws (3 on each carb intake and 2 on the crankcase vent) and 2 10MM bolts plus a few vacumn lines). The only thing that holds the carburetor on the engine is the two rubber ducts that connect to the intake manifolds. Loosen the clamps on the two ducts (long phillips screw driver required) and the carburetor can be lifted a couple inches and you have easy access to where the cables attach to the carburetor. The attachment points are just right of the yellow connector in the picture.
Routing the cables up through the maze? Sorry, can't help you on that, good luck!

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 189
I should have added, be sure to cover the carb intakes so nothing accidently get dropped into them and I'm not sure you even have to raise the carburetor but if you do, it isn't that difficult.