Rear brake pads for 83: same as front?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveV

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here, veteran Winger - Question about rear brake pads for an '83 GL1100 standard: some websites/EBAY auctions list the pads as being the same for front and rear, some list a dif part# for the rear - can anyone shed light on this? Thanks! :)

Actually I got thre FA69's, they are correct but I am having some trouble compressing the caliper pistons = wondering what method y'all use, the book is kind of vague

Attachments

• GL1100_Caliper.jpg
    GL1100_Caliper.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 113
I use I use a 6 inch C clamp for all my brake work... set the fram on the outside of the housing and run the screw down into the piston cup and slowly turn it back in until it seats.. watch for the dust cover/seal to fold back in . you may have to guide it back in place.. turn it until it seats at the bottom of the caliper cyclinder.. ( my wife did buy me a vice grip set with the oversizes c clamp style jaws to use.. haven't tried this yet)

Hey Dave, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :music:

I use a caliper spreader from an automotive store (bought it 30 years ago). It is kinda like a mini scissors lift that fits between the pads and when the screw is turned it opens the scissors and compresses the pads back into the caliper.

An el' Cheapo C Clamp worked good for me, But be VERY careful to not snap the bleeders off, I twisted off 2 of the 3 bleeders on mine :crying:

I'd recommend tapping on the wrench with a hammer lightly to break it lose first, Like a dummy when mine weren't budging I muscled it :head bang: