Talking to a guy about an '84...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Through emails, so far:

84 Aspencade 1200.

He says it blue books for $3k, but he'll let it go for $2k. (ok, we'll see???)

I asked if I can hear it start and run. He says it will start as long as the battery is charged up, but he hasn't started it in a couple of months. It has been unregistered for a year or two. (he claims due to insurance problems) I assured him that it's a $300 motorcycle untill I hear it start up.
He stated that it is in pretty good condition and low miles. I don't yet know how many miles he considers "low" or his concept of "pretty good condition". He's gonna dust it off and take some picks before I drive 2 1/2 hours to look at it.

I asked if I'd be able to ride it home if I took the title to DMV and paid the fees due, and was told that I should be able to take the title and go with it.

I've had an 1100 standard for about a year and a half now. I'm not familiar at all with the 1200. Are all 1200's fuel injected? What else should I be asking. What else should I be looking "for" or "at"? You folks got any tips you can share?

I understand that I may have to do some catchup on maintenence when I get it home, that's a given. But I'm not really looking for something that needs to be overhauled.

No,most 1200s are carburated.The rare exceptions are a couple limited edition and special edition models in 86 and 87 I think.
If it is fuel injected it may be a good one to avoid.That means something to some,but tough ones to maintain or source parts for.

I think the biggest thing I would check would be to put a meter on it aand make sure it is chargeing OK.Change the oil before you ride it home,but I think I would trailor it untel I got a chance to change all the fluids and checked all the rubber out good.

this is only my opinion but here it gose engine wise i like the 1000 the best it is more flexable, as timing can be adjusted or made electronic , valves are solid lifters,

1100s i like except for the cdi ignition not adjustable

1200s never had one but dont like the ignition cdi,dont like the hydrolic lifters, dont like the rear wheel setup and the sator or charging systen seems to be the worst on 1200s

the 1200 your looking at is carburated if its an 84 most are except 85 limited and 86 sei which are fuel injected

would i buy one sure would things id look for

id put it on the center stand and check for play in rear wheel ,if there is then try to determin is it the wheel or swingarm, the wheel on 1200s have bearing monted in alumamin not good setup at all a lot of people put 1500 swingarms and wheel on 1200s ,theres other ways to fix it

id take a battery and see if i could get it to run and how much lifter noise it has, you might have to live with that hard to mess with and get right if lifter is just bad

that being said if i like it and thought i wanted it the 1200 is pretty nice touring bike and the standards or naked ones are rare and the last yr they made them is 84

thats my thougts

I had a bad experience with registration 4 years old. I had to pay up all priors. Yes....thank you California.
I would check up on this before buying, no non-op ya gotta pay up.

The 1200 is almost identical to the 1100.
Unfortunately the 1200 has the stator problem. Like said bring a charged battery and a voltmeter. Don't use his dead battery jumped to test voltage because it may read wrong. You want to see at least 14 volts at idle.
Could do an external so not that big a deal if it is bad. After doing mine I wouldn't go back.

The '84 has carbs, more vacuum hoses and a better choke.

I wouldn't ride any more than a pre buy test run until oil and belts were changed. Tires may be done also.

"I assured him that it's a $300 motorcycle untill I hear it start up."
I like your way of thinking.

Post the pics!