valve noise?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semper7

Reaction score
a 86 goldwing aspenade hear a rattle sound in od around 41 mph and up, comes from right sde lower around the valve cover, when i excelerate can hear it, i back of on the trottle can't detect it. in neutral 1-2-3- no sound of rattle, as the bike warms up rattle still there, but not as loud. i have tried sea foam in the gas, used a higher octane 89-91 still there. glad to hear from you

not, was told the 86 are self adjusting, i was told maybe it could carb adjustment not sure, i'm new on this one, have a 1300 yamaha 08 tour delux also, bought the wing from a friend, a good deal has a about 45000 on it and as of now rides real nice
with the exception for this noise that just started about 2 months ago, read it might be chaim chain, again new to me. Thanks for response.

Not sure if the 85 has adjusters for the valves. You can try substituting 1/2 a quart of automatic transmission fluid in the oil. It might clean things enough for a collapsed lifter to pump back up. Which may be the source of the noise. If that doesn't work you may need to replace a lifter or possibly other components. I'd try the ATF for a couple hundred miles at least first if it runs good. No cam chains these have timing belts.

im just getting into the 1200 head setups ....not much info out there for adjusting and bleeding the lifters :rant: :mrgreen: fortunitly the one 1200 i got running now is quiet as can be :mrgreen:

semper7":3n7krlk6 said:
a 86 goldwing aspenade hear a rattle sound in od around 41 mph and up, comes from right sde lower around the valve cover, when i excelerate can hear it, i back of on the trottle can't detect it. in neutral 1-2-3- no sound of rattle, as the bike warms up rattle still there, but not as loud. i have tried sea foam in the gas, used a higher octane 89-91 still there. glad to hear from you

This doesn't sound like it could be a valve noise.
Valve tappets would be heard at the same RPM's regardless of speed.

Overdrive and accelerating at 41 MPH would put your RPM's pretty low and acceleration would mean high exhaust gas pressures, maybe it's an exhaust leak.