Wire splice methods

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I like to do a Western Union splice, solder, then wrap with electrical tape.
I like 3M's Super 33 black electrical tape. It's never comes loose, is rated at 600 volts and doesnt get hard and brittle like "cheap" tape does.

I prefer to use heat shrink wrap although you need a heat shrink gun to use it. (I tried using a lighter in the field, but it doesn't heat evenly fast enough and a hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.)

I also prefer the western union splice, then solder, and prefer the heat shrink over the tape. But there are times when the situation is too close to get heat shrink to slide back far enough away from the soldering heat and electrical tape seems the only insulation alternative. Then again, depending on the situation, such as access, I may opt to use a butt connector with a good positive crimping tool. Like laying upsidedown working under the dash of a car where hot solder could drip in my face. It only takes one time. (just go with me on this one) I also believe that wire nuts make a good connection that won't go anywhere, but takes up a lot more room. Some people might think that looks tacky. If I'm concerned that someone may see my work later on, then I think the soldered, or crimped connection with heat shrink is not only better cosmetically, but also more weather resistant. Especially if you put some dielectric grease on the joint, then slip the heat shrink over and focus more on getting the ends sealed.

BigAndrew":4sxyiw3k said:
Winger 82":4sxyiw3k said:
:head bang: :head bang: :heat: :heat:

What you didnt think that was funny?? :blush:

:clapping: :clapping: Yeah I really did think it was funny, :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: just thought I'd stir the pot to try and get some more funny stuff :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :clapping: :clapping: